21- The Proposal

Sigma and Nikolai were pacing around the room. The albino suddenly burst into laughter.

"What are you laughing at?" Sigma asked, annoyed.

"It's funny," the Ukrainian replied simply. "I can't wait to see what punishment Kamui gives you..."

"That's not funny at all!" the other protested. "It wasn't my fault that the mercenaries didn't hold up their end of the deal. I did everything I could! It's not fair that I'm being punished for something that wasn't my fault!"

"Maybe, but justice isn't for everyone, it seems. Isn't it marvelous, free will? Whether it's your fault or not, Kamui will punish you anyway because he wants to, he can, and no one will stop him!"

The door opened, revealing Fukuchi's figure. Sigma swallowed nervously, and Gogol burst into laughter.

"And speaking of the devil..."

The Hunting Dog swiftly approached the young man with bicolor hair and slapped him. Nikolai covered his mouth with his cape to hide the amused smile he had.

"You're useless," the elder asserted disdainfully. "You had one job, which was simply to collect the poison, and yet you ruined everything."

"It's not my fault they weren't reliable people!"

"It's your fault for being so weak!"

Sigma fell silent, his hand on his stinging cheek, holding back tears. He clenched his jaw; he wouldn't cry. Not in front of Fukuchi.

He wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

"However," Fukuchi continued, "you took advantage of the opportunity Nakahara gave you. What information did you give him, and what did you take from him?"

"I showed him where Dazai was. Then, I gathered information on each of the mafia's hideouts and secret passages."

Fukuchi raised an eyebrow. Gogol interjected.

"But doesn't Tachihara know them too?" he asked.

"Not all of them," Sigma clarified. "It seems that the boss started to suspect him and kept certain things hidden from him. But Chuuya has complete trust because he's an executive as well."

"Very well," Fukuchi tossed him a map. "Mark the passages and hideouts."

After glaring at him, Sigma spread the map on the floor and took out a pen, using it to mark and indicate each of the locations controlled by the mafia. When he finished, Fukuchi pointed to one with his finger.

"This one is particularly good. If they go this way, they'll split into three paths. The usual thing would be for them to separate, so at least two can escape. And this path," he pointed to a corridor beside it, "has a boat they could use to escape. The door can only be opened by a member of the mafia."

Fukuchi made a sound of approval, turned around, and left without even saying goodbye. The door clicked shut, and Sigma waited for ten seconds. Then he screamed in despair and threw the pen at the door.

"Rot in hell!" he shouted before collapsing to the floor, covering his face with his hands.

Nikolai approached him and sat silently by his side. Sigma uncovered his face.

"It was a trap, wasn't it?" Sigma asked. "You wanted to get rid of me. You and Dostoevsky."

"Don't mix things up. It was never our intention to 'get rid' of you," the albino replied. "We needed Chuuya's information. Dos-kun knew the probability of us being betrayed was high, and you were the only one who could take advantage of the situation. You're still valuable; we couldn't let you go."