15- The Trial

Reluctantly, Akutagawa let Chuuya go to his "meeting" with Ranpo. The black-haired boy didn't like leaving his superior alone, even if it was for work, and especially not alone with someone who had locked him inside a book for a couple of weeks.

"Chuuya-san, please, take me with you. I'll behave, I swear," Akutagawa pleaded.

"I already said no, Akutagawa. I'll be fine," Chuuya replied.

"Please, Chuuya-san, if I can't go with you, at least let me send a sniper just in case."

"Do you guys send snipers when you have 'work discussions' with someone?" Atsushi asked.

"It's just in case, if things get ugly," Chuuya explained to reassure him. "But I don't want snipers today, okay? Ranpo would notice right away, and I trust him."

"Do you really trust the person who locked you in a book?" Akutagawa didn't understand.

"Yes, I do, but only because I don't have a choice," Chuuya placed his hand on his subordinate's head. "Akutagawa, I know you're worried, but I'm a damn executive and the best martial artist in the mafia. I'll be fine, nothing will happen."

Akutagawa was left speechless, unable to find arguments to continue protesting, and he closed his mouth. He leaned in a bit and rested his head on the redhead's shoulder.

"Chuuya-san, please be very careful."

The elder man smiled tenderly and stroked his subordinate's back.

"Don't worry."

It was already half-past six. Chuuya was ready to leave, and the Akutagawa brothers were going to stay with Atsushi and Kenji.

"I'll be back by eight at the latest," Nakahara instructed. "If I haven't returned by then, call Ane-san."

"I thought you said everything would be fine," Ryuunosuke protested.

"And it will be, but it doesn't hurt to take precautions," Chuuya smiled. "Don't worry. I'll be back here by at least seven, most likely. See you."

"Goodbye, Chuuya-san," they all said their goodbyes.

He left his house and drove to the bar where Edogawa was waiting for him. He shuddered at the thought of what the detective might tell him. Would he know where Dazai was? Would he know what they were doing to him? He didn't want to dwell on that, or he would soon have an anxiety attack.

He arrived, parked the car, and entered. It wasn't hard to spot Ranpo, mainly because of the curious raccoon-shaped hat he was wearing.

Oh no, that wasn't a hat. It was an actual raccoon.

Who brings a raccoon to a diplomatic talk? Was it some kind of joke? Had he set a trap for him?

He took a deep breath. «Don't panic, Chuuya,» he told himself. «It's probably nothing.» He walked confidently towards him and sat down beside him. Edogawa happily licked one of those multicolored popsicles they give out on Children's Day.

"Oh, you came!" he exclaimed. "That's great. Let's have a chat."

"I didn't come just to chat with you, Edogawa," the redhead growled. "You said you were going to talk to me about Dazai, and that's why I'm here. If the information you have isn't actually important, I'll leave."

Ranpo smiled and took the raccoon off his head.

"Hey, Karl, go to Poe," he said. "Tell him I'll be back by eight."

Maybe it was his imagination, but Chuuya could swear the raccoon made an "OK" gesture with its paw. Karl jumped down to the floor and left.

"You named your raccoon 'Karl'?"