Silent Treatment or Death Wish?

Phil's Point of View:

Dan was mad at him, and it was obvious by the fact that he completely avoided him. He was also giving Phil the silent treatment, and that hurt even more than anything in the world.

Was it because of the game?

No, he couldn't be mad because I kissed him...

Could he?

Dan hasn't said anything to him in eight days now. Eight. Days. Eight days without hearing Dan's voice or his laugh. Eight days without him smiling at him or saying "good morning Phil." Eight days without his best friend.

And he wasn't just not talking to Phil. Oh no, Dan was physically avoiding him. When Phil tried to hand him his breakfast or lunch, Dan yanked his hand away. He'd only eat if Tyler or Troye handed him something or he got it himself. He didn't sleep near him as he usually did (which they did to share heat). He even stayed behind the group, far from Phil, when they traveled.

On day nine of the silent treatment, the four boys decided to move from the Starbucks that they were staying at and go somewhere else. To where? Well, they had no clue, but they would figure out where they wanted to stay later.

As they trudged along the road, weapons ready for anything, Phil really wanted to start complaining. His shoes were uncomfortable, his clothes were itchy, and his stomach hurt. It wasn't a puking sick, but more so of a nervous/anxious sick. It might have been because Dan was a little closer than he's been in the last couple days, but he didn't conclude that as the answer.

"Around the next corner is a nest. Trust me, we need to be more quiet than we have been in our lives. Well, maybe not Dan because he's been really quiet lately. Just keep up the good work," Troye smiled as he talked about the nest of zombies. He turned his head back towards Dan, but his smile faded as Dan just glared. Was Dan really mad at everyone? Phil sighed and stared down at his feet.

Right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left... His shoe strings hit the sides of his feet as he walked. They were a bit hypnotic to watch. A couple times, Phil would kick a pebble. Sometimes, when he kicked it, he'd kick is a bit too hard and it would hit Tyler or Troye's shoe. It amused Phil to watch this, but it didn't make him smile. He was still upset that Dan was mad at him. It was as if his heart was being pulled apart slowly, just watching and knowing Dan was mad at him.

Is this how love can hurt someone?

Troye turned around and signaled for everyone to be quiet. The nest must have been really close by. Everyone's steps became lighter and less noisy. Their bags were tied a bit tighter, to avoid more noise. They were basically ninjas or assassins with their ability to be so quiet, aside from their heavy and nervous breathing. Phil was having a hard time breathing, but he wasn't sure if anyone else was. It might have been just him.

Phil glanced pass Troye's shoulder to see how much further they had to go to be safe again, but it was a bit of a ways to go. It had to be at least snow or three blocks. Phil wanted to complain and just curl up on the ground, but he knew he couldn't. He had to keep moving.

With about a block and a half left to go, things took a turn for the worse.

Three or four crashes came from an alleyway that they had passed and out stumbled a pack of zombies (a pack is considered a leader and at least 15-30 zombies following). Phil froze in shock and could feel the blood drain from his face. This couldn't be happening. It shouldn't be happening. They were silent! They hadn't done anything to wake zombies!

Phil was brought out of his daze when a pair of hands grabbed at his bicep and pulled him. He didn't even look to see who grabbed him. But the person wasn't moving him. It was as if Phil was glued to where he was. He heard shouting and felt more tugs at his arm, but all Phil's brain was registering was that zombies were coming closer. Images of the zombie he killed above Dan flashed before Phil's eyes. He was struggling to breathe and tears swelled in his eyes.

The zombies were only a couple yards away before four more hands were on Phil's arms and yanking him. This time, the three people got Phil to move, but not how they probably wanted him.

Phil fell down and almost began to sob. They were getting closer-

Dan's face was in front of him. Dirt stains were everywhere but in a few spots, his pale skin was visible. His greasy fringe was disheveled and a mess. His big brown eyes were filled with tears. Tears? Was Dan going to cry?

"Phil! Get up Phil! We have to go! Please, Phil get up!" Dan's voice sounded strained and weak, like he was losing some kind of battle. Dan hadn't been fighting.

Slowly, sounds filled Phil's ears. He heard guns and groans and moans, and he started to hear some more of Dan's pleas for him to get up. Phil's body began to lift and move, as if working on its own. Phil's empty hand was filled with another hand. Was it Dan's? He didn't look to see, but Dan was the one yanking him away, forcing him to run. As he did, his head turned to see Tyler and Troye close behind, every couple of seconds turning to shoot a zombie. Phil might have stared a bit took long because he watched as a couple zombies got bullets to their heads, blood flying everywhere. The urge to puke was strong, but the hand in his was what kept him going instead of puking.

The boys ran for a good twenty minutes at least until they found somewhere to hide. They found themselves inside an abandoned warehouse. Maybe it was a warehouse, or maybe a cleaned out shop of some kind. Phil didn't really know. He didn't care to be honest. He was just happy to be in a safe place now.

Phil sat in the corner, far away from the group. He watched Troye and Tyler block the windows and door while Dan wandered off somewhere. Phil decided now would be a good time to take his pack off. He untied the few ties it had and laid the bag, his gun and knife, and his little bedroll down beside him. The feeling of sleep was powerful, but Phil didn't want to risk any nightmares right now. It was still early too, and if he slept, he would mess up his sleep schedule even more than it already is.

Phil wanted to read to be honest. But before he could get his body off the ground, Dan appeared with several blankets. He put a couple on a counter and told Tyler that those were theirs then walked to Phil. Dan smiled softly towards Phil then knelt down.

Dan set the blankets to the side and moved Phil's things, making room for himself. After the stuff was moved, Dan wiggled beside him and placed a blanket over them. Phil wanted to say something, but nothing good came to mind. He felt Dan rest his head against his shoulder. Dan took his left hand and started to play with his hand. He pressed the pads of his fingers and then traced the bones that were visible. Phil was confused but didn't say anything. He didn't want Dan to go away.

"I'm... I'm sorry I was mad at you, Phil.. I really am. I didn't..." Dan hesitated. "I don't want to lose you. You're my best friend and seeing... Imagining you being taken by those.. things.. It scared me and made me feel guilty for being mad. I hate being mad at you. I can never be mad at you Phil." Dan's voice got really quiet before he went silent. Phil didn't really know how to respond besides leaning his head against Dan's.

"I forgive you Dan. It's okay. I promise. I'm happy you saved me." Phil had the urge to kiss the side of Dan's head, but he didn't move. He knew better this time. Maybe Dan would come around and say he loved him too, but that was only a hope.

Phil seen Tyler smile at them and give them a thumbs up. Phil took it as a hint to go ahead and go take a nap. Of course, Phil didn't hesitate, and neither did Dan.