All the Hope in the World

Tyler's Point of View

If anyone remembers the part of Captain America: the Winter Soldier and Steve said, "go ahead, cause I'm with you till the end," (rough quoting), channel those feelings and remember them. Got it? That's how Tyler felt in the hotel lobby, watching Dan and Phil.

Phil's possible last words was a love confession. A damned love confession!

They had no way of knowing if he was going to make it. They didn't have nurses and doctors. There were no heart monitors, blood pressure machines, and no medicine. There was no possible way of knowing if Phil was going to live.

When Dan started ordering them to grab things, Tyler had to ignore the burning pain in his chest and everywhere. He still hurt from when he was beaten, but he was getting better. He only could guess what Dan was planning too. He didn't say, "hey get these things because I'm going to literally stab Phil to help save his life." No he just ordered shit and they complied. Tyler could feel his stomach doing somersaults as Phil screamed in pain. It was a helpless scream; one where the person knows they couldn't do anything, knows they shouldn't scream since they can't do anything, but they scream anyways because it's all they can do. Tyler felt tears swelling in his eyes at that time and then Phil went quiet as Dan stitched him up with dental floss. Troye was capable enough and cut patches of fabric and found some tape.

When all was over and Phil said his quiet little declaration of love, no one moved. Literally, no one. Everything felt as if it were paused. Tyler didn't realize he wasn't breathing until he started to get dizzy. Troye put his arm around Tyler, and they moved to sit on the lounge couch.

Troye tried to relax Tyler so he could sleep, but Tyler couldn't sleep. There was no possible way he would fall asleep. He probably wouldn't sleep for a good four years. Not with what he seen:

Phil was laying still, flat on his stomach. Dan was still where he was when he dug the hands from the crawlers off Phil's back.

That was probably the most horrifying part. Dan literally shot the crawler then snapped its arms. The sound of the bones breaking chilled Tyler, and fear crept into him when he saw Dan use his knife to cut the arms off to get Phil up. He cut the arms off at mid arm, and watching the zombie fall without arms was scary enough, but seeing Dan's face was more so. When you think of monsters, you don't think of a six foot something boy in almost all black with blood on his arms and hands holding the hand of another six foot something boy with hands stuck in his back. But Dan's face was grueling. He had blood splattered all over his face, along with the dirt, and he looked like he could murder someone.

Now, Dan just looked like a boy who lost his dog. He hadn't moved for hours, just rubbing Phil's shoulder. He was obviously trying not to touch the wounds but it seemed he wanted the physical contact with Phil; as if that would be able to save him. But his hands were blood stained. The blood from Phil's back was drying all over his hands and arms.

Tyler didn't know what he could do. He didn't want to lose Phil, and he sure as hell didn't want Dan to lose Phil. If they lost Phil...

It shook Tyler to even think, but if they lost Phil, nothing would get better. He imagined that Dan would be like this; a motionless creature just waiting till starvation took hold of him. Dan wouldn't eat, drink, nothing. He would just be there. It was obvious that Phil meant the world to Dan.

Tyler wasn't exactly religious in the long run, especially now with the zombie apocalypse and all, but he sent a silent prayer that Phil would make it, for the sake of everyone.

Even as hard as he tried to fight it, Tyler was tired. He soon fell into a dreamless sleep, which was very much welcome.

Morning came and when Tyler opened his eyes, he was surprised to see Dan moved a little. Instead of sitting right beside Phil's body, he was on his side, curled as close as he dares to be. Tyler yawned and wiggled from Troye's hold, looking through his pack before finding a blanket. He put the blanket on top of the bodies of his British friends and turned to look at Troye. He was waking up, probably realizing that Tyler escaped. Tyler smiled and walked back to his boyfriend, pecking him on the lips.