Chapter 3

Natasha

I will literally never go back to communications class if it meant never seeing Tristan again. I practically ran out once it was over and avoided the intense stare she was giving me once I did.

I felt like a loser knowing that she saw right through my facade after all these years. I always liked to strike up a competition against Tristian, not only to get a rise out of her, but to convince myself that I was good enough.

My mother never appreciated how hard I tried, how much I looked up to her. So after my first game of dodgeball in the 7th grade, I sought to be the best athletically since she wasn't impressed by my academic skills. Validation is all I craved from her, the one thing I could never get.

Tristian was my target. I took it all out on her. It made me feel good that she thought so highly of me, which pushed her to be better. Little did she know, I was just a scared 13 year old.

As the first semester of my freshman year of college neared I grew tired of being someone I wasn't. I was tired of trying to impress my mom. I was already a disappointment despite the way we were somewhat close, so why not come out of the closet and be even more of a disappointment?
At least I got a fresh start right? Making new friends instantly and getting to be my awkward yet quirky self. Getting to study under a business major and shadow under my older friends. Perfect. Until she suddenly appeared, someone from my horrible past, discovering who I truly was.

It didn't help I wore my ratty old overalls instead of the vests and khakis I used to always wear in high school. I didn't look like the Natasha she knew. Or the Natasha she thought she knew.

I was embarrassed just thinking about it. I shivered, shutting my laptop shut on my desk. That's fine. I'll never go back.

Just as I was getting ready to dive into my bed for the night, my phone began buzzing from a phone call.

My mother.

I felt my eyebrows furrow as I frowned, staring into my phone in annoyance. I genuinely wanted to throw my phone across the room. I sighed, throwing a few braids over my shoulder and straightening my hand. I answered at the last ring, watching her face enlarge onto my screen, almost wincing at the sudden scowl that sat on her face.

"Natasha, why does it take you so long to answer? Do you have someone over?" She held a look of disapproval on her slightly wrinkled face.

"Hello to you too, mom." I say through my fake smile.

"How are your classes? Your grades?"

"My grades are just fine. I have a tutor for my statistics class." I sigh, leaning back into my desk chair.

"Why do you need a tutor?" She removes the hand that's placed on her forehead in distress.

"You're kidding, right?" I chuckle lightly, my smile faltering when I see that her mouth is still formed into a straight line. "You know I'm not the best at math, mom."

"Well it seems like these days I don't really know who you are anymore."

Queue internal screaming.

I chuckle nervously, glancing around the room to avoid her stare through the phone. I feel my thumb twitch to hang up the call.

"Okay well, I don't really want to talk to you if you're going to act like this." I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Why? Act like what? What did I do?" She genuinely looks confused, which pisses me off even more.

"You're acting like a child, mom. And I don't want to talk to you right now, so goodnight." I wave into the camera and hang up the call.

I should probably be more nice to the person who pays my bills, but I could care less in this current moment. Ever since I told her I liked girls she's been cold and shady towards me, two things I hate the most after growing up with an emotionally detached father.