17|Disappointment

Haze's POV

"You just couldn't help yourself, could you!?" Mrs. Vincent shouted as she paced back and forth.

I stayed quiet.

"I know you started that fight!"

"I didn't!" I defended.

"Oh, please Haze, you were going so good. Did you forget this was your last strike? I have no other choice but to expel you as promised."

For the very few times in my life, I felt fear.

"You can't do that; my dad will kill me. You know that!"

"Well why did you fight that poor kid? Who knows, that kid could be dead right now. You being expelled would be the least of your problems. You'll be put in jail for murder!"

Murder? I just roughed him up a little.

I just don't get it. Why would he provoke me like that and then do nothing to defend himself.

He set me up.

The door swung open and there was my saviour with rage on her face.

"Elianna!" Mrs. Vincent claimed as she hugged her.

"Tell me the update. What punishment is he getting this time? A few weeks of detention?"

Mrs. Vincent sighed. "Elianna, I told you last time that this would be his last strike."

Elle looked at me. I'll be dead when we get home.

"Please Mrs. V, is there something you can do to help us? With our parents being absent and me dancing in another state, it is really hard for me to control Haze."

Good job playing the absent parent, Elle.

Mrs. Vincent folded her arms. "I'm sorry Elianna but parents have already started calling. I can't just have Haze almost murdering another student and then walking away like it was nothing."

"I understand that Mrs. V but you can't expel Haze. Our dad will take him to Italy and force him to do unthinkable things. You know how scary our dad can get."

"Well..." Mrs. Vincent hesitated. "The school does need some funding."

"You name the price and we'll donate it anonymously!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Twenty thousand, Haze will be on suspension until I say so and he must serve as student body president when he returns."

"Fifty thousand and I want all records of Haze's little misunderstandings erased from his files and for his suspension to be short," Eli counter argued.

Mrs. Vincent sighed. "Deal."

Eli smiled. "Pleasure doing business with you. Get up Haze."

"I can't be student body president," I said.

Elle looked at me. "Why joy?"

"That Bellona chick as been campaigning for months now. It won't be fair."

"Bellona does not fit the role. The school needs a good leader. You're far from a good student but people will listen to you," Mrs. Vincent explained.

"I don't know."

Elle slapped the back of my head. "This is a win so you should do what Mrs. V wants. End of discussion."

I got up and we had a long, silent drive home.

When Elle slammed the door and took off her shoes, I knew it was time for my murder.

She picked up one shoe before throwing it on my chest and then the other at my head. If I didn't tilt my head, I would've been out cold.

"What the hell was that Elle!?"

She marched up to me. "I should be asking you that! What were you thinking?"

"I wasn't," I shamefully admitted.

She walked up to me and punched me on the shoulder. "Well you should have. Why'd you fight that kid?"

"I don't know, he just walked up to me and started picking a fight!"

"Sure, he did, some nerd just wanted to fight with you huh. You didn't do anything?"

"I didn't! At least I don't think so. I don't even talk to him," I tried to explain but she wouldn't listen. She never does anymore.

"You know what Haze, I don't care. I am sick and tired of cleaning up after you when you get bored and decide to pick on others. I tried my best to raise you but it seems like it didn't work."

"I tried not to Elle! I really did! I even started walking away!"

"Oh, did you? If you really tried to walk away, that kid wouldn't have been in the hospital, and I wouldn't have to be paying 50K to that money loving school!"

"I'm sorry, Elle."

She started to cry before putting back on her shoes.

"I knew you were bad, but I didn't know you were this bad. If you ever do this again, I swear I'll take you to Italy myself."

My heart sank.

She turned around and opened the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Far away from you!" she shouted as she slammed the door behind her leaving me alone once again in this forlorn house, I call home.

I went straight to my room and lit up a joint.

Of course, Elle wouldn't believe me.

Today just felt like such a blur.

I went from randomly winning student body president to being suspended.

My hands were in fists as I thought about that Aroy dude or whatever his name was. I had no idea what his problem was. I stayed away from him and his friends.

I would've already finished him the second he called my name, but I didn't. I stayed calm for Eve but he crossed the line when he punched me in the back.

I took in another puff from my pot.

Eve.

She probably hates me right now. I guess I can say goodbye to those warm, cherry kisses of hers and that distinct lavender scent I always smell when she is around. I'm saying goodbye to how shy she gets when she is around me but instantly turns bold if she's mad at me. I'm saying goodbye to the sexiest body I ever touched and probably a body that little have gotten the opportunity to see.

I smiled as I thought of her.

Oh no, I'm in trouble.

Evelyn Parker has me smiling when I think of her.

The tune of the doorbell resonated through the house.

Maybe Elle forgot her keys. I should just leave her outside, shouldn't I?

I sighed as I got up. I can't do that, not to Elle.

Elle is the shoulder I cried on when I was younger. Elle is the one who always comes to my rescue whenever things go south. Elle was the one who stayed up all night doing my projects and homework even though she had exams to study for. Elle was the one who raised and cooked for me. She might not have been the best cook but at least she cooked for me.

The whole point is, I can't give up on Elle. Even if she gets mad at me sometimes, I can't get mad at her. Elle gave up her childhood to raise me when my father wouldn't.

Elle did her best to raise me and all I'm doing is letting her down.

I can't do it anymore. I won't let Elle down again.

The doorbell rang again.

I swung the door open. "What!?"

My eyes widened. "Eve?"

"Hi, Haze."