33|Exposed

Eve's POV

I lifted my hand up to wrap around Haze but it fell back down on the bed.

I opened my eyes and he was gone. I turned around and screamed.

Mom was sitting down on the chair in my room watching me. "Mom!"

"Finally, I've been sitting here for like an hour now."

"Mom, what are you doing in my room?"

She smiled. "To tell you a little story."

I raised my eyebrow in confusion.

"I came home from a long, eight-hour flight to see a very handsome young man coming down the stairs."

Oh no.

"He said he was just leaving but you know your mom, I can't have guest over without offering them something to drink. We talked a bit, and he even helped me wash the glasses."

She stood up and hugged me. "I'm so proud of you. You didn't tell me your boyfriend was so good looking. He reminds me of your dad. Who is he? I know he can't be a part of your friend group because he seems nothing like them."

"He's not my boyfriend and stop talking about my friends like they are ugly."

"Oh no Evelyn, I'm not trying to call them ugly. What I am trying to say is that he seems very cool and laidback while your friends seem kind of...unusual."

"Mom," I tried to make her stop.

She dropped a piece of cloth on me.

"What's this?"

"Well, after I saw that boy, I knew exactly what kind of person he is. I know he didn't leave your room last night because you guys just finished watching the new episode of Barbie. It's a dress I bought for you but I never gave it because I figured you wouldn't wear it."

I picked up the dress. It was extremely short and made to be fitted. "What makes you think I'd want to wear now?"

"Because you have, Haze. Uh, even his name is dreamy!"

I handed it back to her. "No thanks."

"Evelyn, you should try to wear something out of your comfort zone times instead of these gigantic clothing you are always wearing. You don't want him to get tired of you. No man would want a girl who dresses like you."

I lowered my hand.

I never thought about that. Haze never made me feel the need to but what if he was just trying to be nice?

"Just think about it, Evelyn," she said before leaving.

...

I knocked on the door waiting to be let in.

I was dressed in my long pants with a long sleeve shirt and sneakers. Mom looked disappointed when I left the house but I had to wear what made me comfortable.

The door opened and I jumped when I saw it wasn't Haze. A scary looking man with a scowl on his face watched me.

This must be Haze's father. He looks as wicked as Haze described him.

"You must be Mr. De Luca," I said and I saw Haze flying down the stairs to us.

He turned to Haze. "Chi è questa donna?"

"Il mio amico, papà," Haze replied.

I didn't understand a word they were saying.

"Eve, this is my dad. Papa, this is Eve," Haze introduced us.