31|My Escape

Haze's POV

1 week later

"Wow easy there, H," Jason shouted.

"I can't," I said as I practiced getting perfect shots in the goal. "You're a shit goalkeeper."

"I'm a tired goalkeeper. Come on man, we've been at it for four hours. Let's go hit a joint or something."

"Let's go take lap round the field," I counterargued as I started running.

I could hear him groan in the background, but he caught up to me.

"What the heck is wrong with you? You're going to get yourself burnt out."

"I told you already. My dad's back in town and he wants to take me back with him."

"Just talk to him. He'll understand. Your father is one of the nicest people I've ever met."

Dad is a businessman, he can easily fool others. I couldn't bring myself to tell Jason about how my father use to beat me until I was almost knocking on death's door. I couldn't bring myself to tell him how much my father resented me because of my mother's death.

It was depressing. Who would want to hear that?

Anyways he wouldn't understand. He has a standard American father who drives a minivan and loves his son.

"I need to make it to top twenty."

"Haze, you're ranked thirtieth in the whole country. Do you know how much of thousands of players you've beat? I'm ranked five hundredth."

"I'm close. I can make it."

"Haze, it's not enough time. Plus, you won't have enough opportunities to. The team only has two more games for the season."

I started to get angry so I sped up.

"Haze, I'm talking to you!"

No, I won't let him discourage me. I can do it. If I don't, I'll say goodbye to a happy life and I can't do that.

He caught up to me again. "My birthday party is coming up. You sure you can make it? If you get burnt out, I won't be mad."

I smiled. "Are you kidding me? There is nothing that is going to stop me from coming."

I looked up and my smile slowly faded.

Eve and her friends were walking to the parking lot.

She looked back at me and our eyes locked.

I hadn't talked to her from since that day. I was mad at myself for not controlling my emotions and letting my anger out on her. That was not cool at all.

I wanted to apologize but that was not good enough. It will never be good enough. She deserves better.

Practicing didn't help either. It took all the energy out from me so every time I came home, I went fast to sleep and every time I woke up, I went either to the gym or for a run.

She looked forward and continued to walk. I could feel a pain in my chest when she did that. It was like she stabbed me in the heart.

"Crazy weirdos," I heard Jason say.

"What?"

"You're looking at that Bellona chic, aren't you?"

I finally caught myself and realized I stopped running.

"Andrea told me what happened in your little student council meeting. Why the hell did you just give it to her?"

I turned around and started walking back to our stuff. "I think we should call it a day."

"You're not getting soft, are you? We used to ruin her and now she's ruining you? You're soft."

"I'm not soft," I said before I chugged down my water.

"Making those nerds feel comfortable enough to walk up to you and pick a fight? Soft."

"I'm not soft."

"Begging one of them to be your vice president and then she turned back and bit you in the ass? Soft!"

"I'm not soft!" I shouted as I grabbed his throat.

He smiled. "There you are. I thought I lost my friend for a second."

I blinked before releasing him out my grip. "I don't want to be like this anymore Jason."

"You have to show people who is boss."

I shook my head. "I don't want to hurt good people. I don't want to be unhinged and do something I'll regret."

"What the hell's wrong with you man? You're getting weak. You need to get your act together. "

He slapped my back before leaving.

I closed my eyes for a minute. I just wanted peace for one minute.

...

I headed through my favorite forest, my escape, and smiled when I saw no one by the water body.

At first, I just sat on a large rock and watched the weak currents flow through the water body. It was peaceful.

The sound of birds chirping in the woods echoed back to me. The sound of the water crashing against the banks could also be heard. The sound that the ripples made when they were created. I could see tiny fish swimming in the clear water and the passing fox stopping for a sip of water from the water body. It was peaceful.

This is why I call this place my escape.

My mind ran on Eve and that look she gave me. It was that same look she gave me today as last Wednesday.

It was a look of disappointment.

I hated that look.

I never wanted to her to look at me like that. I don't care who else looked at me that way, just don't make it Eve.

What the hell is she doing to me?

I have other things to think about and this is what I'm worrying about?

I can't stop thinking about her. I can't stop thinking about her smile, the way she talks, and the way how perfectly her body fits in my arms. I can't stop thinking about Eve.

That's because we like her idiot.

I shook my head.

No, I can't. Not Eve. I'd be breaking our rule if I did so.

I picked up my phone and texted her.

Him: Hey, can we talk?

I waited a few minutes before checking again.

Her: Seen.

Him: Please Eve, I want to make things right.

Her: Seen.

Him: Eve, please!

She came offline and I put down my phone.

The thought of losing her for good, terrified me.

I immediately picked up my phone and dialed a number.

"Hello? Who is this?"

"I think I like Eve."