Chapter 3

It didn’t take long for me to remember why I hadn’t lasted long in the restaurant business in high school.  I didn’t even remotely excel at this kind of work.  For one, I was very much an introvert.  Spending eight hours per day surrounded by people was exhausting.  I was decent at keeping up the friendly demeanor throughout the shift, but I definitely needed to recharge afterwards.  Even though I was also surrounded by people at the preschool all day, it was different when they were kids.  Rude kids, I could handle.  Rude adults?  Not so much. 

Then there was also the fact that, by the time the shift was over, my feet felt like they were going to fall off.  The more weight you had, the harder it was on your body to be on your feet all day, and I had nearly 200 pounds of it.  It was difficult for me.

But it was a job, and I didn’t want to let anyone down, so I decided to throw myself into it.  Hopefully I wouldn’t have to be there long before I found something more my speed, but for now, this was it.  Jai showed me the ropes.  Now, this was a café, not a restaurant like the one we’d worked in in high school, so thankfully, there were no tables to wait on.  But it was busy, so there was a lot to remember.  And being short-staffed, it was like being thrown into the deep end.

“Hannah, how’s it coming?” Jai asked, a little panic in his voice as I struggled with the fancy coffees I was trying to make.  Why couldn’t people be satisfied with regular coffees these days?  Everything had to be special—non-fat this and organic that, with oat milk and agave nectar, blah, blah, blah.  It was too much to cram into my head in one week.  I didn’t even get a chance to respond before he sighed in frustration and came to my aid.  I stepped back and watched him expertly pour and steam and drizzle his way to making beautiful caffeine-filled works of art. 

“Sorry,” I said sheepishly.  “It’s all a little overwhelming.”

“S’alright, babe.  Why don’t you take the orders, and I’ll do this part?  I’ll teach you how to do more once it’s a little less busy,” he responded, handing me two of the cups to give to the customer.  She didn’t look entirely pleased, but she didn’t say anything.

“I apologize for the wait.   Please come again!” I said this last bit to her retreating back as she exited the store, then sighed.  I needed to do well here, or I’d be out of this job too, and there was no way I could afford that.  I’d have to start looking for something in my field tonight. 

Twenty busy minutes later, we came to what seemed to be the end of the lunch rush.  Only a couple more customers to go.  A blonde woman approached the counter with an adorable, dark-haired toddler in her arms, and I smiled brightly at them both.  The little girl looked shy but curious, and it made me miss my kids at the preschool that much more.  My heart ached at the loss. 

“Good afternoon!  Welcome to Café Crimson.  What can I get you today?” I asked in a friendly tone, then waved at the little girl.  She snuggled into the woman’s neck but peeked at me with a shy smile.

“Coffee, one milk, one sugar,” the woman replied with a tired smile.  “As large as you’ve got.  I forgot how tiring it is, looking after a toddler.  And we’ll take a small white milk as well.”  She turned to the little girl.  “And what else would you like, Emily?  Do you want a cookie?”

The little girl raised her head again and nodded, her blue eyes lighting up.  I noticed she didn’t make eye contact with me or the woman, and my heart melted a little.  Shy kids always stole my heart a little more. You had to work harder for their trust, but once you had it, you shared a special bond. 

“Of course.  It’ll be right up,” I replied with a smile and went to the fridge for the milk while Jai poured the coffee.  “Why don’t I pour the milk into a soft drink cup for her?” I suggested, pulling out a small paper cup and a lid.