Chapter 45

LIAM

My encounter with Hannah had not gone at all the way I'd hoped it would. I hadn't even heard her come in—she must have slipped in quietly when I'd been in my office. I hadn't turned the security system on to watch for her to come home.

I wouldn't make that mistake again.

I'd even begged Kate to take Emily for the night, on the off chance that I'd be able to work things out with Hannah, but that plan had blown up right in my face. I'd said the wrong thing, and that'd only made her angrier with me.

I was kicking myself now. Normally, I was great with words, but when it came to Hannah and the pain I'd caused her, I was a blundering mess. She was the one who'd had the words tonight, and the guilt that had slammed into me as she'd reminded me angrily that I'd been the one to break her heart had left me speechless, barely able to breathe.

Seeing her there like that, anger and pain on that beautiful face, her green eyes bright and sparking with emotion, and hearing her forbid me to use her pet name, had left me wanting nothing more than to pull her into my arms and kiss her until neither of us could breathe, to show her how much I loved her, to show her how unbelievably sorry I was for causing her all that pain, and to promise her I'd never do it again.

Instead, I'd just stood there and watched as she'd walked away.

I was so angry with myself for all of this. I'd caused this. She could be here, in my arms right now, that beautiful smile lighting up the room, her precious heart nestled safely in my hands, but instead, she was out with him. Nate, who I'd never trusted, never liked, who would eat her up and then spit her out when he was done, because that was what guys like him did.

I hadn't been lying when I'd told her she deserved someone who would give her the world, and I wanted that person to be me. I hated that she was out with him right now. What were they doing? Was she okay? Was she happy? Was she falling for him? That smirk and the wave he'd given me before he'd gotten into his car and driven off with her told me he'd do everything he could tonight to make that happen.

I felt jealousy boiling up inside me again at the thought of her in his arms, his lips on hers, his body giving hers the pleasure that should be my right. That would have been mine if I hadn't fucked up the best thing that'd ever happened to me. God, I hoped it didn't happen. I hoped she'd see through his act. She had to see that he wasn't the man for her.

Either way, I planned to fight for her. To tell her and show her exactly how I felt about her, how much I loved her. I just hoped I could make her see that she was everything to me.

All night, she invaded my thoughts. I couldn't think about anything but Hannah on her date with Nate. I tried watching tv, but I couldn't concentrate on what was happening. I tried to work, but my mind kept drifting back to them. It was driving me crazy, but there was nothing I could do about it. Finally, after time spent pacing back and forth, trying to figure out what I would say to her when she got home—if she even let me, that was—I collapsed back into the recliner in the living room and started doing some research. I decided that I needed to make a grand gesture, and I knew exactly what I was going to do. I even called Kate for help.

I had the plan fully formed, items ordered, workers hired, when I got a notification on my phone from my security app. I sat forward. Hannah was home.

Nate's car had triggered the sensor when he'd pulled into the driveway, and not a minute after he parked, they were both getting out of the car. The camera above the garage showed him placing his hand on the small of her back as he guided her to the door, and I felt a wave of anger well up inside me when I noticed how uncomfortable she looked. She wasn't smiling, and she was drawn in on herself, shoulders rounded as if she was trying to make herself smaller. Nate was either oblivious or didn't care. She worried her fingers like she'd done so many times when we'd first met. I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen her do it, and the fact that she was clearly so anxious now made me want to swoop in and save her from this asshole. I had to force myself to stay still; I hadn't seen him actually doing anything to her that would warrant saving, and I didn't want her to think I was some Neanderthal who didn't think she could fight her own fights. All I could do was watch, but I'd be here, ready and waiting, in case she needed me.