Broken doll

Birds born in a cage think that flying is a disease

Irene's POV

Sometimes I think about what my life would have been like if I had been born to another mother. Would everything have turned out differently, or would my gut still have taken over, and I became the same as I am now? It's probably stupid to think that everything would have remained as it is, your parents have an influence on you, which means that my fate would have been completely different. But we have what we have. My name is Bae Joohyun, I am twenty-nine years old, and I have lost all meaning in life. I just exist...

I was born in the most typical Korean family: a father who constantly hangs out at work, a housewife mother, both caring but strict. Everything went smoothly until my mother caught my father cheating, from that moment a point of no return was set in my life. My father divorced my mother and went to his lover, and my mother turned from a caring and strict woman into an even less caring, but more strict one. She was obsessed with my education, I didn't know peace, I spent all my time studying, I didn't have time to really get enough sleep, let alone meetings with friends and relationships.

Speaking of relationships, my mom, who raised me on her own and opened her own business in the form of a restaurant, ate my whole brain with marriage. She argued that I didn't need anything and could safely take care of my unborn children. Even she was looking for a husband for me herself, she said she knew better, my preferences were nothing to her. So after I graduated from University with a degree in English, she married me to an American businessman who was selling Korean products abroad.

In fact, at first everything was quite good, we even liked each other, had fun, arranged our big house together, looked for all possible points of contact. But after a few years everything cooled down noticeably, we became more detached, he, like my father once, spent a lot of time at work, and I had to stay at home. Sometimes I tried to talk to him about wanting to get a job somewhere in my specialty, but all the conversations ended in a scandal. He believed that a wife should take care of the house. And I was bored, cleaning didn't take much time, because there was no one to litter, we didn't have children, I just didn't know what to do with myself.

It got even worse in those moments when my husband went on business trips. If so, at least we spent late evenings together watching movies or having sex, even if the latter brought pleasure more often to him than to me, then during his absence I was ready to climb the wall out of boredom. It's too late, but I recently found something to do, I started going to my mother's office, having dinner there and watching various performances. I wasn't a fan of this before, but it turned out to be much more interesting than I could have imagined.

And now I have been at home alone for several weeks, so I decided to go to my mother's work once again on Saturday evening. I put on a short black dress with a loose skirt, put on some makeup and got into the car. My mom and I were sitting at a table, having dinner, making small talk, I was constantly looking at the stage, waiting for someone.

On one of my trips to the restaurant, I saw a cute blonde with a guitar and an angelic voice, involuntarily stared at her, she noticed it and winked at me, blushing and since then occupying my thoughts. I have no idea what guided me, but I wanted to meet her. And now she comes out from behind the scenes, wearing a spacious purple hoodie and short denim shorts, the days have become warmer, and it was already possible to afford such clothes. It would seem nothing remarkable, but I think such a beautiful creature will be fine in a potato sack.

I was sitting far enough away from the stage, so the singer couldn't see me, but I didn't need it yet, I'll intercept her later, after the performance, but for now I'm enjoying her playing and voice. Roseanne, so her host announced, is a beautiful name. She finishes, bows slightly and leaves the stage, after which I notice the blonde heading towards the toilets, I apologize to my mother and follow her, keeping my distance. When I enter the women's restroom, she is already hiding in one of the booths, the rest are empty to my surprise, which is good news, because no one will interfere with our conversation. I pretend to wash my hands while waiting for Roseanne to do her thing.