Chapter 7

They were in the throne room in silence. George wanted to just ignore the inevitable threat, but they both knew if they were going to beat this, they needed a plan. Dream finally tried speaking up.

"George, we really need to come up with a plan. Our army needs improvement, and it's your job to figure that out." Dream said, trying to be softer, but still make sure he knew what needed to be done.

George didn't even look at him. He just pretended to keep writing on his scroll. But he did respond.

"We have a call to arms in the works. Every capable man between twenty and fifty years of age is obligated as citizens to fight for our kingdom. But they won't be experienced, especially against the army of Pikoro."

Dream took this new information in. A call to arms was a good idea, and a great thing to have in place. But George was right about the skill level of the random citizen.

"I mean, me and Sapnap could train them, it couldn't be that hard." Dream said after a second. George still wasn't looking up at him. He gave up pretending to work, and was just staring at his paper.

Dream shook his head. He went up and kneeled in front of the throne, putting one of his hands on the arm of the throne.

"Hey, look at me George. We can do this. But not if you don't try. I understand that this is stressful, but we need to get a move on if we are going to keep the kingdom under your leadership." Dream said sweetly. George finally looked up at him. After a second, he smiled bittersweetly.

"Fine, we can talk about this." George said quietly, but a little bit playful. At least he was still trying.

The rest of the day, they were discussing in the throne room. Planning on how to give out the call all over the kingdom in the shortest amount of time. George was very hesitant about giving it out though, he didn't want to force anyone to join their army.

"George, you're too sweet. If you don't want the kingdom of Pikoro to be in full control of all the people here, we need an army. And the sooner they get here, the more prepared the army will be. So help me help you get over this overused empathy sooner rather than later."

It was late by the time they had gotten this far into the conversation. George's spirit had just gone down since this morning. Dream could tell George thought there was no hope. Dream continued.

"...So sometime tomorrow, can we send out the call for arms? We need as much time as possible to train up regular citizens." Dream said after giving George time to answer, even though he didn't say anything.

George was just staring off into the throne room at this point, not even giving any sign he's listening. Dream sighed, and tried again.

"I know you feel it's wrong to force people to join, but think of the long term. Your citizens will be happier when they aren't under the rule of a cruel king. Trust me, I was face to face with him. He's heartless, he doesn't care at all about his subjects, he's just focused on his own self image and his quest for power." Dream explained to him.

George considered this. And he finally spoke up. "I guess.. but I-... I just can't separate happy families. Especially since Pikoro would win with or without their help. It'd be pointless sacrifice."

Dream sighed. He'd been like this all day. It was frustrating to say the least. Not even considering anything he laid on the table. He noticed George was fixated on something in the room. He followed George's gaze. George was watching one of the torches burning on the wall, looking completely out of it. Dream couldn't help but feel for him, even though he was being frustratingly stubborn.

"Hey, it's been a long day, we should get you to bed George." Dream said, standing up.

George didn't move.

"I don't really want to. I didn't do enough throne work today, I should probably catch up for the next few hours-"

George was interrupted by Dream picking him up, bridal style. "Too bad, you need your sleep." Dream said, walking towards their sleeping quarters.

"Ah-! Dream! What are you doing-!" George said, wrapping his arms around Dream's neck so he wouldn't fall. Dream started laughing as he left the throne room.

"Taking you to your room, what does it look like?" He said, still laughing a little. George rolled his eyes a little, but wasn't complaining.

Dream got some weird looks from some of the guards, but no one said or did anything. Probably because they didn't feel as if it was their place.

Dream put George down in front of his door, still laughing a little. "Dream, you're an idiot." George said, shaking his head in amusement.

Dream opened the door to his own room. "Goodnight George." Dream said with a smile.

George watched as Dream started going into his room, but he cut him off.

"...-Wait! Dream?" George said. Dream looked at him in confusion, half in his room.

"I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep anytime soon. Can we just hang out in my room until I feel tired?" George asked, looking at Dream.

Dream was tired, but he couldn't just say no to him, could he? Then he saw his expression. It was devastating to look at, he needed to help him in any way possible.

"Of course, if that will make you feel better, I'll gladly keep you company until you can get some sleep." Dream responded, closing his door and heading over to George. He gave Dream a warm smile, and they both went into the room.

As they walked in, Dream was taken aback. He forgot how big his room was. George took him over to his fireplace, and after lighting it, they sat down around it.

For the next few hours, they talked the night away, getting to know each other a little more. Dream was trying his best to distract George, and for the most part, it worked. But a little after midnight, he started spiraling down again.

"What if we just... surrender once they get here? We could spare so many lives... It seems like the best thing to do." George sniffled before continuing. "Besides, everyone would be happy with a new ruler. No one seems to like me, not even the ones I trust the most. It's only a matter of time until everyone rises up and dethrones me, and picks someone better. And who better than the ruler of the most powerful king in the land? I'd be doing everyone a favor."

Dream just felt more and more saddened as George kept rambling on. This poor man needed a break.

Eventually George just stopped talking. They sat in silence, listening to the fire crackle. After a minute of watching the flames dance in the fireplace, George continued. "What reason could there possibly be for me to even try...?" George paused, and looked at Dream.

Dream could tell he needed an answer. Something, anything, to convince him that this was worth it. Something... that would give him a reason to keep trying. And he knew the whole 'for his citizens' play wouldn't work. I mean, one of the main reasons he didn't want to go through with this was to protect their happiness.

That's when Dream thought of it. George had been asking for this for a while now. Maybe, it would be enough to keep him going. But the real question was, did Dream feel comfortable enough to do it?

Dream decided that if it kept George going, it was worth it.

Dream turned in his seat to face him, and moved his hand next to his, but didn't touch it. George looked at him, confused. Dream smiled a little.

"How about this... if we win this, I'll let down my mask, and tell you my real name. But only if you keep going. Your people need you,"

Dream looked at their hands as he slightly moved his pinky onto George's. He looked back at George.

"I need you." Dream finished.

George's eyes widened. He didn't say anything.

Then a few seconds later, his face softened into a smile.

A/N

Sorry, forgot to post again yesterday- Hope you enjoy nonetheless :D