Chapter 16

It had been almost a week since Dream's parents broke in. Which means it had also almost been a week since Dream and George started dating. While they hadn't officially announced it yet, all the castle staff assumed there was something going on. They weren't that secretive about it, holding hands in the hallways and whispering to each other in the throne room.

George, with Dream's help, was still trying to figure out how to make the announcement. He wanted to make it special. But they weren't focused on that right now. It was currently one in the afternoon and they were going about their day normally, George working in the throne room with Dream positioned to his right on guard.

But all of a sudden, the door slowly opened to reveal a messenger. It wasn't an unusual time to get messengers, but George was confused because her uniform wasn't of this kingdom. In fact, he couldn't tell where her badge originated from. He waited for the woman to speak.

"Good afternoon, King George. I have a message from Queen Niki, of the Kingdom of Latissa. Permission to read it?" The messenger said with a bow.

George snuck a look at Dream, wanting his input. Dream shrugged in reply. He didn't see why not. George looked back at the messenger. "Yes, of course, what is it?"

The woman opened her scroll. "Queen Niki says, 'King George, of Evenere. I have received word of your victory against Pikoro. I would like to offer my congratulations. Defeating Pikoro is no small feat. We ourselves have struggled to keep King James from our border. I worry what will become of the entire east coast if we do not act together against this awful reign of tyranny. So I offer this, a talk of alliances. If Pikoro may strike against either of our kingdoms again, we would be stronger together. If you accept, I will arrive on the twelfth, two in the afternoon on the dot, and we can discuss this possibility. Thank you for your time.'"

The woman put down her scroll. "So, how do you wish to respond?"

George was speechless. An alliance?! In the last few centuries of Evenere history, their kingdom had never been offered an official alliance. They've had trade agreements, and international friendships, but not an official alliance. Was this a road he wanted to go down? George looked at Dream, wanting his opinion on the matter. Dream nodded eagerly and gave him an encouraging smile. George thought for a second.

"Tell Queen Niki, we would be delighted to have her." George finally answered. The messenger gave a nod, and headed out of the castle.

George inhaled deeply. That was in no way what he was expecting to happen today. Before he could even properly take it in, Dream was in front of his throne, with the dumbest grin. George was snapped out of his thoughts, as he saw him. He smiled in return. George hopped off his throne, and got level with Dream.

"D-did that just happen?" George asked in disbelief. Dream nodded. George gave off a small squeal, and jumped into Dream outstretched arms, hugging him tightly to get out his excitement. Dream could only slightly breathe, but he was excited that George was excited, so he squeezed him right back.

As George felt his guard's warmth surround him, he felt his face heat up. He wanted to kiss him. They had yet to kiss in public, but it just felt like the perfect moment.

George loosened his grip a little, and started looking at Dream, his eyes drifting down to the younger's lips, then shooting back up to his eyes. Dream caught on, and smirked. George started blushing, and looked away, as much as he could as he was still in Dream's arms.

Dream wanted to give him what he wanted, but they were in a throne room with plenty of guards. If they did anything, the whole castle would know in a matter of hours. And while they might suspect something, they both didn't want them kissing in public to be the way everyone officially found out.