Chapter 31

It was in the early hours of the morning, the sun hadn't even risen. It was one of those nights where George couldn't sleep. It never happened much anymore, but it still did. But Dream stayed up with him, so they were just hanging out in George's room.

George felt bad, Dream kept insisting on staying up with him. "Dream, are you sure you're not tired? I don't want to keep you up..."

Dream smiled and shook his head. "Even if I was, I'm not having you stay up by yourself. Besides, I'm your guard, am I not?"

George rolled his eyes, but smiled nonetheless. "I guess that's true. Just tell me if you want to go to sleep, I won't mind."

Dream smiled back, and placed a kiss on his head. Despite the conversation, neither of them minded having to stay up, because it was one of the only times they got to spend quality time with each other.

After another hour or so, George was about to try and get Dream to go to sleep again, when they heard something. They both looked at the door. There were some muffled voices. Dream stood up.

All the sudden, they heard the metal of a sword, followed by a scream. George stood up as well, while Dream hurried to his sword, and took it out. He whispered to George, seriousness overtaking his voice. "George, stay behind me. Back up to the end of the room."

George did as he was told, worried now. Dream was as well, and backed up with him. What was that sound? Did someone break in? There was a moment where both of them didn't say a word. They didn't hear anything either.

Dream was about to go out and check what happened, when the door flung open. It was a man that Dream didn't recognize. He was wearing guard armor, and had his sword drawn. But it was his grin, his malicious grin that had Dream on edge.

George couldn't see over Dream all that well, so he peeked his head to the side to see who it was. When he saw him, he stumbled backward and almost fell. He started breathing heavily, and his mind was running a mile a minute.

He stuttered in disbelief. "L-Landon?!" George barely got out.

Dream didn't recognize the name, but he could tell this was a bad person by the tone of his voice.

The (previous?) guard spoke up. "Why yes, your majesty. That is my name. Miss me..?" Landon said almost playfully.

Dream looked back between the two. "George, who is he?!" Dream finally said, starting to fully take stance.

Landon laughed. "Haven't told your new guard about me? I thought I would've made a lasting impression. Too bad, I suppose."

George cleared his throat before answering. "L-Landon, was my previous personal guard..."

Dream looked at him in anger and disgust. "You! You're the one who tried to kill him, and betrayed his trust! It was your job to protect him, not to use him!" Dream spat at him.

Landon just laughed. "I see I hit a nerve. But I wouldn't be talking, Mr. Collins."

Dream cringed at the reminder. His family is the last thing he wanted to be thinking about right now. This guy must be more in the loop than he thought.

"So what if I have a criminal family, I somehow managed to be more loyal than you were." Dream responding, his words lathered in sass.

Landon rolled his eyes, but took note of this. He expected him to have more of a temper, the Collins being his parents and all. He had more self-control than he thought. He'd have to play his cards right. He slowly started stepping towards them. Dream slashed in front of them, trying to keep him at bay.

Dream was really worried about this. He wasn't in his right state to take on him. Sure, he had no doubt that he was better than him, but he was physically injured. He glanced behind him, and looked at George.

His life was counting on him. No matter what, he was going to have to try. For him. He tightened his grip on the sword, and took a deep breath.

He sprung forward sword raised, getting chills as the two metals clinged against each other.

Landon smirked, and pushed Dream back, trying to stun him. Dream stumbled, but he was stronger than him. So, getting his footing, pushed Landon a surprising distance away from George. He knew that was his goal, keep him as far away from George as possible.

Dream ran up to him, and swung at him. Landon barely dodged, causing the blade to cut the curtain behind him square in half. Dream was backing down though, and kept swinging, keeping as much distance between them while he tired him out.

Landon blocked repeatedly, and started panting. Dream was far better than he hoped for. Something had to give, he couldn't keep up with this.

During the duel, Dream had somehow ended up facing away from him after finishing his launch of attacks. He turned to face him again, when he got a sudden wave of pain. He winced a little, his wound did not like him turning that quickly. He ignored it, and got ready for another attack.

If Landon was anything, he was observant. He saw him wince, what part of his body was the culprit of it, and learned his new target.

Dream ran in, and they clashed swords again. But instead of fighting against it, Landon stepped back, and kicked him square in the chest.

Dream became paralyzed, and fell to the floor, sword clinging out of reach. He hissed in pain, and maybe even started to feel lightheaded. He couldn't tell.

George let out a scream, as Landon took his sword, and used it to tip Dream's chin up to face him.. "Who's the better guard now?" Landon said with a smirk.

Dream was still unable to speak, all he could register was the mass amount of pain in his chest.

George was shaking, both from his tears, but mostly from fear. Dream was the only thing between him and Landon, and now he was paralyzed. Did they make it through the battle with Pikoro just to end up dead to his old guard?

As Dream pulled through the effort to speak, he grunted in pain. "That was so dirty! Did guard training teach you nothing!?" Dream yelled, as he tried to get up, or do something.

Landon rolled his eyes, and rested his sword on Dream's neck, pushing him back down. "I don't want a lesson in guard morale from a criminal, thank you very much."

He pressed his sword into Dream's neck, blocking his airway a little. Dream coughed, and tried twisting away, but it was no use. But for some reason, Landon backed off a little after a second. "Luckily for you though, it's not my place to kill you."

He reached for some ropes he had brought in with him. He tied Dream's hands together behind his back. Dream was confused, it would be smarter to just end his life here. But, nevertheless, more chances of escape.

He had regained most movement now, and wasn't making it easy, twisting and turning to avoid him. He was defenseless though, so eventually Landon got the ropes secure.

As he forced Dream to stand and was pulling him over to the other end of the room, Dream yelled at him. "What are you doing?! Why aren't you killing me?!"

Landon laughed. "What, you think I just randomly was able to get out of the prison? Of course not! Someone broke out a select few of us out of the cells. She said that she wanted the privilege to end both you and George's lives, so as I am in debt to her, I listen."

Dream's eyes widened. His parents. There was no way that whoever freed everyone, didn't free the people who got closest to killing George. Dream just hoped that his parents didn't get to see him alive.

Landon was now onto tying up George. George tried to push him back, or at the very least do something where Dream could escape, but it wasn't of any use. Landon eventually pinned him down. He took out more rope, and tied George's hands as well.

And with that, went all their hope.