Chapter 30

It was finally the day, Dream was getting dispatched from the hospital.

The nurse was in the room with them, giving the final run down. "Okay, I believe that's it, you're free to go. Make sure to take it easy, and have your bandages changed once a week."

They both nodded. George spoke up. "Right, I'll make sure he doesn't run off and do something stupid." He said, giving Dream a playful smile. Dream rolled his eyes.

The nurse nodded, jotted a few things down, then left the room.

George stood up, and went over to the bed. He reached down and helped Dream up. He put his arm under Dream's, and Dream put his other arm over George's shoulder. George laughed a little. "You want to go back to our room, or do you think you can manage going to the throne room?"

Dream thought about it. "Please the throne room, I don't think my sanity will last any longer if I have to be on a bed for any longer." Dream said with a laugh, but he was being serious. George nodded.

Dream looked around the room, seemingly looking for something. Until he paused, his gaze stuck on something. George followed his eyes, and they fell upon Dream's mask, or rather, what was left of it.

It was terribly cracked, barely holding itself together. It was covered in blood stains and dust, even though George had previously tried to clean it. Dream hesitated.

"Oh. Well, that's... interesting." Dream said after a second.

George looked back at him. "Do you want me to go get you a new one? I'm sure we have one somewhere-"

Dream shook his head. "Nah, maybe this is some sort of sign. It's purely just for comfort now, everyone knows no matter how hard I tried to hide it. People can be suspicious, but y'know what? Let them."

George looked at Dream with concern. "Are- are you sure?"

Dream didn't answer right away, almost like he was trying to convince himself of what he just said. "Ya, ya I'm sure. I think. I can't wear it forever, and now is as good as ever to give it up, ya?"

George nodded. "Okay, well, if you're sure, I support you." George smiled, and leaned his head onto Dream's. "Heh, look at you. So proud."

Dream laughed a little awkwardly, but kissed him on the forehead. "Right. Let's not draw more attention to it than necessary. We can go."

George lifted up his head, and started leading him out without another word.

As they were walking to the throne room, something was different. And it wasn't just that Dream was using George to support him. No, people seemed more... nice?

As they kept walking, others kept coming up to them, seemingly relieved that Dream was alive. They got a lot more friendlier looks, some people even coming up to express their gratitude for Dream's selfless action in saving George. Others came up and told him how he saved their lives while he was making his way to James.

By the time they got their George was beaming. Apparently, this was finally the thing that showed people just how great a person Dream is.

Everything considered, George didn't get a whole lot of work done that day. But he made more progress than he had been making, and he was able to spend time with Dream, finally. What more could a man ask for?

It was wonderful for them both to wake up in their own bed, with each other. They stayed in bed for a while, before Dream insisted George should get some of his work done.

They got to the throne room, and George was about to start his work when he remembered his conversation with Dream's parents. "Hey Dream...?"

Dream looked at him, confused at his tone. "Hm?" Dream responded.

George took a deep breath. "Well... While you were out, your parents asked for me..."

Dream's went completely silent, processing this information.

George then explained everything that happened in detail. Dream just listened in silence.

George paused when he finished for a moment, letting Dream take everything in. "They wanted me to update them when I got news on your condition, but I haven't yet. I assume you want to go with me?"

Dream stayed silent a little longer. But he knew whatever he said, George was going to go anyway. And he'd prefer to be with him. "Sure. I'll go. Lead the way."

George smiled, and helped Dream up. Even though he hadn't been hurting as much and instituted he could walk on his own now, he still wanted Dream to take it easy.

They made their way to the cells. Sam let them in, and they both mentally prepared themselves before entering. After a moment Dream opened the door.

Immediately, his parents looked up as they entered. Sydney's face lit up when she saw Dream. "Clay! Oh thank everything- you're alive! Oh I was so worried- What in the world happened?! I've only heard bits and pieces-"

Dream just stood there, still leaning on George. Sydney backed away, and clasped her hands together. She looked down, and swallowed hard. "Of course, I understand." Tears welled up in her eyes.

She looked at George, who just looked perplexed. "Thank you, your majesty. You don't have to be in our presence any longer than you have already."

If they were trying to make Dream feel bad for them, it sure was working. He noticed, like every other time he's been here, his dad was looking away. He then remembered what George said.

He looked over at his face, and saw he was indeed crying. Again, according to George. He stepped back from the cell, his head spinning.

He'd never seen his dad cry without it being some sort of act of manipulation, which he'd seen a lot and learned to decipher. But when he was manipulating someone, he made it so you could see him crying, instead of him trying to hide it. Unlike now.

He shook off George, and half-ran out before they infected him anymore. George quickly chased after him.

When George entered the weird in-between room, he was Dream on the floor, with his back to the wall. It broke George's heart.

He didn't say anything, just hugged him tight, trying to show him he was there. Dream leaned softly into his hold, comforted by George's warm embrace. But tears still poured from his eyes.

"I don't know what to think anymore...! Do I believe them, try and find the heart to even start to forgive them, or do I avoid them because their manipulation is working on me?" Dream closed his eyes, completely overwhelmed.

He started whispering, suddenly losing the energy to speak. "there's so many different emotions swirling around in my head, and I don't know which is right..."

George leaned his head into the side of Dream's as he tried to comfort him. "Shh... you're okay. I'm right here. No matter what, we'll figure this out together. We have all the time in the world."

Dream leaned his head back in return, showing his appreciation. "Ya... Ya we can worry about this later." He wiped his face, and allowed George to help him back up.

"C'mon, let's get you back to the throne room."