Chapter 13

On the car ride back, all I could think about was the woman and her lifeless body. I just wanted her to get up so badly.

"I had to. She killed a little kid, Jax. A kid, her daughter. She was only three years old, and that woman killed her. Her boyfriend was the one who tipped us off and gave us the evidence because the cops weren't doing shit. You may see me as a monster now, and that's okay, but I need you to understand that my organisation hunts predators and killers. But before we do anything, we get the information that we need. I have four guys going down to find the body of that little girl, and I can take you if you want me to. I'm sorry you had to see that. Okay?" Micheal explained himself.

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of my sister and an unknown voice. I climbed out of bed and pulled on a hoodie, and walked down the stairs.

"Morning shithead," I mumbled as I hit the back of her head.

"You're up early. Why?" She sounded confused.

"Am I not allowed to be awake at a reasonable hour?" I asked her while I put some bread in the Toaster.

"No, you're not. Also, Micheal left for work about an hour ago."

"Ok, who's that?" I asked, pointing to the boy sitting next to her.

"No one, fuck off!" She yelled at me.

"No, that's not allowed. Hi, what's your name?" I asked him.

"My name is Jamie. What's yours?" He reciprocated the question.

"Hi Jamie, my name is Jaxon, but everyone calls me Jax. How do you know Mia?"

"Um, we met online and found out we go to the same school."

"Cool, so you're still in primary school?"

"Yep. Are you Mia's dad?"

"No, ew. If she were my kid, I would have abandoned her at birth. I'm her much cooler older brother."

"Oh, sorry. So was the other guy your dad?"

"Oh no! He's my boyfriend, who is also my best friend's dad. So that's that, anyway. Why are you here and how come I didn't know?"

"We were about to leave, actually. So please stop investigating my friendship with a boy. I'm leaving, and your toast is burning." Mia said as she pulled Jamie out the door with her.

I whipped around to see the perfectly golden-brown toast pop up.

"MADE YOU LOOK!" I heard her yell from outside.

I chuckled at her antics as I finished making my breakfast. I went to take a bite of my food when I got a call from my dad.

"Hi, Dad. What's up?"
...
"What?"
...
"She just left to hang out with a friend."
...
"Yeah, I'll get her now. See you soon."

And I hung up. I quickly ran out the door and started running after my sister.

"What do you want, Jax?" She asked as she turned around to face me.

"We need to go, NOW!" I yelled dragging her back to the house.

"Sorry, Jamie, but something came up. Mia can't hang."

"Ok, bye!" He called out.

As soon as we got back to the house and the door was closed, she screamed at me.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM JAXON? AM I NOT ALLOWED TO HANG OUT WITH FRIENDS ANYMORE? OR IS IT THAT HES A BOY, HUH? TELL ME WHY I CANT HAVE FRIENDS OF THE OPPOSITE GENDER TO ME! FUCKING TELL ME!"

"He's not the reason you can't hang today. Hang out with him whenever you want, I don't give two shits Mia. I need to get changed, then we are leaving, okay?"

"NO! IM NOT GOING ANYWHERE UNTIL YOU TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG!"

"I'll tell you in the car!"

"No, tell NOW!"

"FINE! fuck, mums condition got worse and we are going to visit her after I get changed."

"I don't wanna see Mum right now. I wanna hang out with Jamie, I'm going to Jamie."

"WHAT THE FUCK? MUM IS IN CRITICAL CONDITION, SHE COULD DIE RIGHT NOW AND YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID FRIEND? WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO YOU? YOU USED TO BE SO NICE, YOU USED TO CARE ABOUT YOUR OWN GOD DAMN MOTHER BUT NOW YOU'RE LIKE A WHOLE DIFFERENT PERSON! I don't know you, I don't think I ever have. Get the fuck out right now."

"Jax, I didn't know it was that bad. I'm sorry, we can go see Mum an-"

"NO! GET THE FUCK OUT AND GO BE WITH JAMIE BECAUSE HE MATTERS MORE TO YOU THAN YOUR OWN FUCKING MOTHER, WHO MIGHT I REMIND YOU! IS LITERALLY ON HER FUCKING DEATHBED AT THE RIPE AGE OF 43!" I yelled, my words laced with venom.

I saw the sadness form on Mia's face but couldn't care. I turned to make my way up to my room. I closed myself off in the small room, I swung my closet door open and put on a white t-shirt, faded dark blue jeans, and a purple hoodie. I pulled on my shoes, grabbed my keys and phone, and left my sister standing in the living room.

I parked my car in front of the hospital and made my way inside.

"How can I help you?" The woman behind the desk asked me.

"Hi, Sarah Conners is here and I'd like to see her."

"Okay, relationship to the patient?"

"She's my mum. Uh, my Dad's with her right now."

"Okay, and your name?"

"Jaxon Conners, J-A-X-O-N C-O-N-N-E-R-S."

"Okay, Jaxon. You're looking for room 324 on floor 3. Have a nice visit." The woman concluded as she gave me the visitor's sticker.

I looked through the window of the door, my mother lay there alone in the room staring out the window to her right. I knocked as I opened the door with a loud creak.