Chapter 16

The next few weeks passed in a blur, I returned to school and everything was normal again. I was at my locker when the bell rang for the first period.

"Shit!" I cursed under my breath as I grabbed my books and laptop, slammed the locker shut and ran to my class.

"Jax, you're late! Care to explain?" Mr Ray said, turning the attention of the class towards me.

"I was at my locker, sorry," I whispered.

"Ok, Today we'll be covering scene three! Everyone get your books out and Fiona can you please read the first page?" Mr Ray explained.

"MISS! JAX IS CHEATING OFF OF ME!" A girl yelled disturbing the silence.

"Sarah, how many times do I have to tell you? This isn't a test, you can't cheat if you all help each other with the answers. And plus, Jax is on the other side of the room. Do your work." Miss Thompson replied, rubbing her temples.

"Miss can I go to the toilet?" I asked raising my hand.

"Of course you can, " Miss Thompson replied.

I got up from my chair and left the room. The sun shone down on the ground, the uneven grass morphing my shadow into a blob. I walk through the seniors courtyard towards the coordinators office to get the key. I land three knocks on the door before I hear a muffled "come in".

"Hi sir, can I have the key to the boys toilet?" I ask.

"Are you skipping or do you really need the toilet?" Mr. Sanchez asked, knowing me too well.

"Skipping... Can I stay here until the end of class?" I ask, hoping he says yes.

"Fine, take a seat. Why are you skipping today, Jax?" He asks, a sincere look on his face.

"I just need a break," I whisper, my voice shaky as I feel the tears coming back to me.

"Okay, Do you want to talk? Have a cry? Sit in silence? Maybe call someone to talk to? What do you need right now?" He asked, his voice soft and comforting.

"Yeah um, can I make a call?" I ask, tears gliding down my cheeks.

"Sure, do you want me to step out?"

"Yes please,"

I wait for him to leave the room before I pull my phone out and dial Mike's number. I hold the phone against my ear, hoping he picks up the phone.

click

"Hi, um...Can you pick me up? I want to go home..." I say into the phone.

"Sure, I have to finish this then I'll be there in 20 okay?" He explains over the phone.

"Okay, see you soon" I reply, my breathing calming down.

"Bye,"

click

I put my phone away and step outside.

"You done?" Mr. Sanchez asks.

"Yeah, can I go get my stuff from my locker and class? I'm getting picked up soon"

"Sure, make it quick"

With the final word I make my way to my locker. I put in the code and grab my bag, shoving my water bottle back inside. I take the bag and re-lock my locker. I walk back through the senior courtyard, bag slung over my left shoulder the trees sway as the wind whistles calmly. The leaves and branches shake making noise and the grass and dirt blows with the wind. I open the classroom door and walk over to my seat and grab my things. I put my books and laptop in my bag and hand the pencil I was using back to it's owner, Henry.

I exit the room with my bag slung over my shoulder again walking back to Mr Sanchez's' office. As I sat in his office the loud speaker went off.

"Jaxon Conners to the front office please, Jaxon Conners to the front office"

"I Guess that's my cue to leave. Bye sir, see you later" I said as I picked up my bag and left the room.

As I entered the office, I saw Mike standing there talking to the principle.

"Hey, you ready?" Mike asked as he saw me approaching.

"Yeah, I just want to go home now," I whispered.

"sure, let's go."

He pulled the car into the underground car park of his work place.

"I'm technically still on work, so you want to hang out with me today? See some stuff I do?" He asked as he turned to me, a warm smile on his face.

"Sure,"

We got out of the car and walked towards the elevator. He pushed the button and we waited for the elevator. As we stepped into the elevator he told me what button to push and I did so.

"Baby, What's wrong? You seem off," Mike asked me.

"I'm fine, just miss mum." I whisper in response.