2. sick day.

After a quiet, peaceful night, Kukui went to wake up Ash. Clambering up the ladder, he noticed Pikachu worriedly poking at its trainer's forehead. It looked like the teen was burning up, maybe with a fever or a little sickness. Kukui attempted to step closer to inspect it further, but Pikachu noticed and placed itself between him and the boy, preparing an attack. The mouse must have known something he didn't, being incredibly protective of Ash, more so than usual. After a few days, Pikachu had calmed down enough to not be ready for battle 24/7. Before he was in Kukui's care, Satoshi was described to having been a trouble magnet. His mother even said he'd been in the centre of some apparently world-ending events, mentioning the Kalos Crisis briefly. He seemed fine, but clearly that Pikachu knew otherwise. So Kukui trusted in it.

"Chuuu." It growled, cheeks sparking wildly

"Okay. I get it."

Kukui retreated, hastily grabbing a wet towel, some headache medicine, and a bottle of Moomoo Milk. After climbing up the ladder, Pikachu met his eyes and nodded. Kukui left the supplies next to the ladder, and watched as Pikachu picked up the wet cloth and carefully placed it on its trainer's forehead, adjusting his position gently so he would be comfortable after waking up. The medicine was placed on the shelf next to the sofa and, finally, the Moomoo Milk took its place standing beside it.

Kukui smiles as Pikachu curls up against Ash, glad that the boy has such a caring partner.

Yesterday, at school, Ash agreed upon having his pokémon looked at next lesson. Kukui knows he is trusted with them, Ash even said that if he somehow doesn't make it to take them himself, and that's exactly what Kukui decided to do. Shortly after ushering Rotom-Dex to come with him and to stop bothering his boarder, he grabbed Rowlet and Rockruff's pokéballs and left the house. He left a note saying when he'd be back, but that was all.

While walking, he thought about class today and if Ash would need to catch up. Luckily, since today's was about his own pokémon, he knew a lot about them already and wouldn't need to revise.

Later, as the professor taught, as the students listened, as the pokémon played, nobody was aware of Pikachu's squeals.

Of the peculiar mist suddenly engulfing the house.

Of what happened to Ash Ketchum.