007. 4ᴛʜ ᴏꜰ ᴊᴜʟʏ

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

"Do you want to play mermaids?"

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

FOURTH OF JULY WAS VALENTINAS FAVORITE HOLIDAY. It's an odd choice, seeing as most people would choose Christmas or Thanksgiving. Fourth of July was lowkey. She loved meeting up with the people closest to her. The fireworks were her favorite, though.

Her family was spending their 4th of July on the beach that was right outside their house. It was a very short walk and they do it every year. It was their own private beach, so they didn't have to worry about anyone taking that spot.

Valentina laid on a blanket with Oakley next to her. Their shoulders were touching and her legs were placed on his lap. It was a very close position that would make people think they were a couple. She didn't know how to feel about that.

They were very comfortable with each other. Val's love language is physical touch and she right away gets touchy with the people she's close to.

Her eyes were strained on the fireworks. There was a certain sparkle in her eyes, only reserved for the things she loved. Things that brought her happiness.

Oakleys eyes, however, were only on Valentina. He thought it was cute how she tapped his arm and made sure he was seeing the same thing she was. She wanted to share her fascination with fireworks with him.

This trip had connected them in many ways. They were at this stage where they didn't know what was going to happen next between them. The almost kiss they shared was the only thing on both minds.

Who was going to make the first move?

After the last firework everyone began to clean up and head home. Val and Oakley made the decision to stay a little longer.

"How come you didn't go home for 4th of July?" Val was curious about his family, his home, his life. She was sure he had family and was wondering why he'd rather spend this holiday with her.

He contemplated his answer for a moment. He had a decent family and good home life. "I'd rather spend it with my new favorite person."

She gave him a pointed look. "You don't have to tell me why. It's not my business."

"No it's alright," his hand found hers to play with her fingers. "It's kind of shit at home at the moment and I didn't want to deal with the drama."

She nodded understandably. Val put her palm face up to wring her fingers with his.

There was a peaceful silence for a few minutes. They watched the waves. It wasn't too cold and everyone was gone by now.