PART SEVEN: The Emails

Mei's eyes fluttered open, her vision slowly clearing as she woke up. She wasn't sure whether she was excited or terrified for another day in this crazy Reaction Dimension (or whatever it was), under the protection of some mysterious but funny person who looked like they were in their teens. Yeah... a teen with insane magic powers and the weirdest sense of humor Mei had ever conceived.

Regardless of her discomfort with the situation, Mei forced herself out of bed. She crept through the bedroom she was sharing with her three closest friends, grabbing a set of clothing from a closet near the beds before tip-toeing into the bathroom to shower.

Once dressed, Mei left her shared room. She silently walked down the insanely long hallway and entered the Reaction Room. The first thing Mei noticed was the smell of freshly-baked pastries. The whole room smelled like a bakery. Mei smiled with a contented sigh. She noticed a few people in the back corner of the room — just across from her — and she walked over to the table they surrounded.

"Good morning, Mei!" Lou said.

"Morning, Author," she replied.

Only a few people were awake and in the room besides Mei: Lou, Holly, Brian, Rantaro, Iida, Alphys, and Papyrus.

"Lou and I got up early and pretty much bought out a local bakery," Holly said.

"The bakery kind of decides its schedule on the fly based on their stock," Lou said. "They open early in the morning, and when they sell out, they're closed for the day. As you might guess, they're now closed today. Generously tipped for their work, of course."

"And a coffee shop," Holly muttered, taking a sip of some kind of tea.

"Okay, it was a coffee roaster, and yes, we did pretty much buy it out. There was a singular employee at the time who really surprised me when they didn't deny our order. Also generously tipped. We now have, like, eleven bags of each flavor and twenty different types of tea."

"Didn't you say they boasted, what, fifty-plus different flavors of coffee?" Brian asked.

"Sixty-nine, actually. I counted," Lou muttered, sipping her tea in the same manner as Holly. "I don't mean that as a joke; I'm actually serious. Anyway, Mei, please help yourself to anything here! We probably got way too much food, in retrospect."

Mei stared at the table in wonder. Scones, sticky buns, tarts, rolls, monkey bread, croissants, danish, scones, muffins, cookies, cupcakes, granola, madeleines, brownies...! There were so many different pastries! She decided to cut a slice of one of the ten cinnamon rolls.

Lou smiled as Mei moved it onto a plate for herself. "Good choice."

"I mean, the cinnamon rolls are okay," Holly said, "but I like the lemon raspberry scones best."

Rantaro shook his head. "I disagree. The apricot danish is way better."

"I-I honestly like th-the madeleines," Alphys stuttered.

"WELL, AS LONG AS WE'RE ON THE TOPIC, I QUITE LIKE THE ALMOND CROISSANT! SO SAYS I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS!" Papyrus finished with a 'NYEH-HEH-HEH!'

"I favor the more savory croissants," Iida said. "The leek and parmesan was phenomenal."

"I, uh," Brian awkwardly cleared his throat. "I can't really eat any of this without risking death, so... yeah. Oh, but I did try a small piece of that lemon and raspberry scone. It was... pretty good."

"OH MY GOSH THIS IS THE BEST CINNAMON ROLL I'VE EVER TASTED!" Mei exclaimed after one bite.

"I KNOW, RIGHT?"