003: brother

The day started off quiet, as it would most days, under the shade of a tree or the house of another. Maggie had left a change of clothes on the floor for Rio, a shirt and a pair of shorts that were most definitely too big, along with some, also oversized, underwear. He appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

After changing and washing up, Rio headed outside. He pocketed his hearing aids, reluctant to run down the battery too soon. The sky was clear and sunny and it seemed to almost be mocking the people outside, all grieving together. Someone had died, someone Rio hadn't known, someone called Otis.

Nearly everyone was under a collection of trees, filling a wheelbarrow. As people collected stones, in preparation for some kind of memorial Glenn had told him about, there was the sound of a motorcycle approaching. The motorcycle was followed by a car, followed by an RV.

Everyone stopped what they were doing momentarily to watch the fast approaching vehicles. They came closer and closer and Rio was told to run inside. "Tell Rick they're here, he'll want to know."

He opened the door to the room, breathing a little heavy after running. He calmed his breath as he told him. "They're here."

Rick seemed to know what Rio was talking about and the boy didn't know how. Rio didn't even know what he was talking about.

Rick intimidated Rio and he didn't know why. All he'd seen him was with eyes of concern, concern for his kid, and he still felt the need to listen to his every order. He knew it could just be the natural authority that came with being an adult but this felt like more.

Maybe it was the sheriff uniform. It was definitely the sheriffs uniform.

Rick left the room, making his way to the garden in front of the porch where he was met with the new arrivals. Rio looked over to Carl, he was awake, peeking under his hat.

"Hi." Rio smiled at him awkwardly, giving half a wave before hurrying out of the room.

The crossbow man was there, Daryl, he was the one riding the motorcycle. Rio thought he was so cool. The other two women from the day before were there aswell, along with a man wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt and a grey beard.

That man was the first to speak, his voice full of concern. "How is he?"

Lori nodded, "He'll pull through." Her voice was happy and this was the first news, asides from seeing him barely awake, that Rio had heard indicating Carl would be okay. "Thanks to Hershel and his people."

He'd didn't even know the boy but he still felt overcome with relief. Maybe it was the thought of being able to have a friend, someone his age, or maybe it was just some sort of natural reaction.

"And Shane." Rick added "we'd have lost Carl if not for him."

Everyone looked over at a man Rio wasn't familiar with, he had a shaved head and wore overalls that definitely weren't his.

The man with the white beard and Hawaiian shirt stepped forward and embraced Rick with a hug. Carol did the same for Lori, muttering a "Thank god." into her ear.

"How'd it happen?"

"Hunting accident. That's all... just a stupid accident." Rick sighed, voice wobbling.

***

Rio was eight when his first brother died, he was sick, a long time before the outbreak. He didn't attend his funeral, not the official one. Rio had stayed at his friends house for a few hours, getting annoyed at himself for not understanding why he didn't want to play with the other boy.

His second brother, Jesse, had taken him to his grave the next day. His grave didn't look anything like the one Maggie's family had built for Otis. It was a stack of rocks, the best they could do in a time like this and everyone gathered around. Rio stood between Glenn and Daryl, copying the former as he removed his cap and held it in his hand. "It's a sign of respect." Dale had said to him, also doing the same.