027: finish it

"I forgot I had these." Rio smiled, picking up the doll and toy duck from his bag. He squeezed the doll, the voice still as croaky and distorted as before.

"We cannot give that to Judith." Carl said, mouth hung open.

The other boy scoffed, smiling to himself and putting the doll back into the bigger bag. "Sure, we can just take out the voice box or put new batteries in it. She'll love her." He filled his rucksack with what he would need on hand. Guns, bullets, water.

He was on the bed beside Carl, watching as he packed the rest of his stuff into a paper bag. Clothes piled at the bottom, then a carefully placed photograph on the top. He held it for a while, just staring down as Rio dropped his chin onto his shoulder to get a look.

Carl looked to the boy and gave him a sad smile. He sighed, hauling the paper bag into their shared duffel.

"Are you done?" Carl asked him. Rio nodded.

"Yeah," he replied. "Wasn't exactly as organized as you."

Carl scoffed, "I'm not organized."

"More than me at least, look at the state of this!" Rio exclaimed, opening out his paper bag to reveal a mess of thrown clothes.

"You must be jealous."

"Of your folding skills?"

Carl nodded smugly.

"Sure." Rio laughed. He was nervous, really nervous. They'd decided to leave the prison after an almost unanimous vote. "I'll have to keep living with you so you can do my laundry."

The other boy didn't answer, just giving him an acknowledging smile. He paused for a moment. "How do you feel about being on the road again?" Carl asked as he looked through another bag.

"We've done it before, we can do it again." Rio shrugged, sitting on his hands and hoping he sounded more confident than he felt.

Carl didn't smile back, he just held out what he'd found in his hand to Rio. The boy took it, looking at the gold star. He ran a finger over it, feeling the metal.

"It was my dads, from his hat I think, I don't think he has the one off of his uniform anymore." Carl explained, Rio inspected it, turning it over in his hands before giving it back to Carl. He pondered for a moment before shoving it in the pocket above his heart.

"It's cool." Rio replied, placing his bag into the bigger one.

"You ready?" Carl asked as he zipped it up.

"Yeah." Rio nodded, he reached out a hand. "Do you want me to—."

"I've got it." Carl cut in, slinging the bag over his shoulder. Rio grabbed his hat from the top bunk, placing it upon the other boy's head. "Thanks." He replied.

Rio just smiled tightly as they left, preparing himself for what was about to happen. They loaded the bag into the car, Carl shrugging Rick's hand away as he tried to grab his son's arm. He walked past, ignoring him.

Beth loaded their bag into the boot of the car, blowing on her hands to warm them. Carl got into the backseat silently. He wasn't talking again. He'd gone through periods of shutting down since it was decided that he wouldn't be there for the fight yesterday.

Beth got in the front, calling for Rio to not take too long.

"I won't, I promise." He replied.

Daryl had sat down behind his motorcycle, that was where Rio found him after he'd sought him out. He crouched down by the man, leaning upon his hands. Daryl looked over to him, smiling sadly. Rio went to say something; something comforting but he struggled to come up with anything. He just sat with the man hoping his presence was enough. From the firm hand on his shoulder he thought it was. Carol walked up behind the boy, sticking a hand out to him and Daryl.