016: three down

Hershel had woken up and was now lying on his bed. Rio found that he liked to talk, he'd talk to anyone about anything. The man was now telling Rio about the time Maggie almost drowned whilst learning to swim. Rio smiled along. He wasn't sure if his parents had any stories that they could tell about him.

His brothers might've.

Beth and Lori walked into the room, holding a pair of crutches our for Hershel, Carl right behind. He sat up, clinging to the top bunk as he tried to stand. Rio hurried to his side, hand stuck out wearily incase he fell.

"Daddy, don't push yourself." Beth warned him, crouching cautiously.

He let out a chuckle, pulling himself up as he replied teasingly. "What else am I going to do?"

He wobbled slightly as he stood and soon let go of the bed frame. Lori grabbed his shoulder and Rio placed a hand upon his arm, steadying him. "Thank you." He mumbled.

"I can't stand looking up at the bottom of that bunk anymore..." Hershel said as he held on to the crutches Lori had handed to him, wobbling into Beth. She grabbed his arm and Lori grabbed his other.

"Woah, woah."

He tapped his crutches against the floor, smiling to Rio before hopping past. Rio laughed as he got the hang of it.

"You know, I think I'm pretty steady."

"That's a good start." Lori smiled encouragingly. "Want to take a rest?" She offered.

"Rest?" He laughed again. "Let's go for a little stroll. I can finish telling you bout that story." Hershel looked over to Rio who nodded eagerly.

"What story was he telling you?" Beth asked, whispering into his ear.

"About the time he caught you and your boyfriend kissing." Rio began, teasing her.

"Oh, no he was not." Beth cut in, mouth hung open. She held his arm, staring at him for a response.

"Oh yeah, says it's his favourite story to tell."

"You're a damn lair." She smiled, releasing her grip on his arm.

Rio burst out laughing, pulling her along. "He was telling me about the time Maggie learnt to swim. Said she almost died trynna to be a fish."

Beth laughed again as they walked through C Block. Hershel began the story again since Lori and Carl hadn't gotten to hear the start.

The boys held open the double doors as everyone walked out into the basketball court, just in time to watch Rick drive into the field.

"Take it easy on the steps." Lori said to the man, holding her arm out towards him.

"Ooh." Carl said as the man stumbled backwards, also sticking his hand out to him. Everyone surrounded Hershel, standing on each side to make sure he didn't fall and if he did, then there'd be someone there to catch him.

"You cleared all those bodies out?" Hershel started, making his way around the yard confidently. "It's starting to look like a place we could really live in."

"Hey, you watch your step." Lori warned. "Last thing we need is you falling."

"All right Hershel!" Glenn shouted from where he was working, collecting firewood with Rick.

Hershel lifted his arm in an attempt to wave, putting his weight against the crutch that held his amputated leg.

"You're really doing great, daddy." Beth said, a genuine smile not leaving her face.

"Ready to race, Hershel?" Carl joked, smiling up at him.

"Give me another day. I'll take you both on." He replied chuckling. Rio has to admit, he was really good on the crutches. They turned another corner, out of the basketball court and caught sight of everyone else.