013: hit the jackpot

Rick burst in to the front of the abandoned house, shooting a Walker through the head as soon as the door swung open wide enough. T-dog followed close behind, stabbing the other through the head with a broken scrap of metal. The Walker was pushed against the window, glass shattering behind its head.

Daryl held his crossbow up ready as he headed into the room opposite where Rick and T-dog had headed. Rio followed after him with his gun loaded in his hands, Carl right behind him.

Rio followed Daryl around the room as they scrounged the house for supplies. The boy kept dropping his arm as he looked through cupboards, not seeing any potential danger but Daryl constantly reminded him to keep his guard up.

He walked towards what he assumed was another cupboard, his gun held high when the doorknob began rattling. Daryl noticed, walking over and pushing Rio backwards. He aimed his crossbow, ready for a Walker to spring upon them and pushed the door open.

A man stumbled back and faced them, torch shining in the pairs eyes. It was just Rick. The room must connect through two doors. Rio let out a sigh, slightly disappointed it was only him. He could've got him, shown Daryl that he was better than he though. Daryl lowered his crossbow and Rick lowered his gun letting out a small unsteady laugh. They both turned away.

Once they walked back into the room they'd just picked over Rio headed out.

"Where are you going?" Daryl asked him.

"Upstairs." He replied.

"Be careful."

"Always am." Rio smiled a cocky smile back at him before using the door frame to swing himself into the hallway. He stumbled into the wall.

"Like hell." He heard Daryl mutter. The boy was considering going back in the room just to argue with him but held himself back. He liked arguing with Daryl, it was funny, they never meant anything. Not really.

He jogged upstairs, careful to be light on his feet as nearly every staircase they climbed these days creaked like hell. Or the rotting wood just crumbled under their weight.

Carl stood on the landing, hand reaching out for the door handle of a bedroom. Rio saw the opportunity to sneak up on him.

"What're you doing?" He asked, jabbing the boy in the sides, making him jump.

"What is wrong with you?" Carl hissed, turning around.

"It's funny." Rio replied, taking his hands off of Carl's sides. He crossed his arms, smiling at him.

"No it's not!"

"Sure it is."

"Okay, whatever." Carl gave up easily, Rio saw him bite back a smile. "Let's go in here."

The door creaked as Carl pushed it open. They looked around the empty room, Rio stood just behind the boy. "You know, I think I'm finally taller than you." He whispered.

"No you're not." Carl protested, straightening up. Rio knew he was trying to make himself look taller.

"Yeah, dude I totally am," Rio brought his hand to his forehead and pushed it over Carl's head, waving it back and forth. He looked to the other boy as if to say 'see?'

Carl turned to him and signed 'quiet down' as they headed towards the next room. He'd memorised some signs the pair had deemed useful like, quiet, walker, are you okay, yes, no, shit, bitch, idiot and some more. All the really important stuff.

'sorry' Rio signed back before whispering. "I'm right though, I can see over your head."

"And I can see over yours." Carl repeated the gesture.