018: left behind

Sun filtered in through the windows the next morning, hitting all the tables in the room. Maggie, Glenn, Beth, Hershel, Carl and Rio were all crowded around one of them sitting together to eat their breakfasts.

Rio had gone to sit next to Daryl upon the stairs but the man had told him to 'go socialise.' The boy bit back a remark, something about practicing what you preach, but thought it best if he didn't say anything.

"Everybody okay?" Someone asked, announcing their presence to the room. Rio's head snapped around to find Rick. He lurked by the door and everyone looked up to him in surprise. No one had seen him since yesterday morning and now he came back, washed and in clean clothes and almost smiling.

"Yeah, we are." Maggie replied calmly, flashing him a warm smile.

"What about you?" Hershel asked the man as Rick came forward.

"I cleared out the boiler block." He replied nonchalantly, not tearing his eyes away from Carl.

"How many were there?" Daryl asked from the perch.

"I don't know. A dozen, two dozen. I have to get back. Just wanted to check on Carl." He patted his son on the shoulder twice before turning and heading off again.

Glenn stopped him, standing up out of his seat. "Rick," He tried to reason. "We can handle taking out the bodies. You don't have to."

"No." He replied. "I do." Rick walked through the room and over to Daryl. "Everybody have a gun and a knife?" He questioned.

"Yeah. We're running low on ammo, though." Daryl responded, looking over at the man cautiously.

"Maggie and me were planning on making a run this afternoon." Glenn explained, Rick nodding along with what he was saying.

Rio leant over the table to Maggie. "Can I come this time?" He asked.

"We'll see." She replied, patting his hand. Rio shot her back a smile, she still wasn't okay after yesterday. Maggie wouldn't tell him what really happened but he knew it must've been bad.

"We found a phone book with some places we can hit, look for bullets and formula." Glenn stated.

"We cleared out the generator room." Daryl added, gesturing to Axel besides him. "Axel here is trying to fix it, in case of emergency. We're gonna sweep the lower levels as well."

"Good. Good." Rick mumbled. He headed back out of the door he entered through, slamming it shut as Hershel called out his name.

"Just leave him daddy." Maggie said, frowning at her bowl of food.

Glenn sat back down and Rio pushed his bowl aside, leaning towards him. "Can I come?"

"What did Maggie say?"

"She said we'll see."

"Sure." He shrugged, taking a spoonful of food. Glenn set his bowl down and wiped his mouth. "You two finish eating and I'll get the car ready."

***

"Is there a CD in there?" Rio asked leaning over the front seats.

"Not sure." Maggie replied opening the glovebox. She rummaged around inside but found nothing.

"We're nearly there anyway." Glenn dismissed, telling the boy to sit back down. Maggie also joined in, making sure he put a seatbelt on.

Glenn stoped the van in front of a big store soon enough, maybe it was even two stores put together. Rio couldn't tell. They were both made up of the same dull red brick with low roofs and shattered windows. Glenn turned the keys, stopping the car as him and Maggie jumped out, telling Rio to wait there.