024: forgive and forget

Rio lay on bed, fingers drumming across his diary as he stared up at the ceiling. He hadn't slept, not properly and his eyelids were growing heavy at the thought of even getting up. The boy climbed down anyway, the sight of an empty bottom bunk reminding him that Carl wasn't there. Stupid run.

The boy pulled all the clean clothes he had left onto the bed, realizing he was short of a shirt and resulting in stealing one of Carl's. Rio got dressed, mid-tying his shoelaces as Daryl knocked on the wall.

"Are you decent?" He asked. Rio looked over at him, his back was turned to the door and his arm was leant against the frame.

"Yeah." The boy called back.

"Can I come in?" Daryl asked, almost tentatively. Rio hesitated for a moment, not used to seeing him act so carefully.

"Uh-huh." He replied, letting out a frustrated sigh as he dropped his lace.

The man walked in, pulling out a stool he'd found from beside the bed and placed it opposite him. Rio gave him a small smile as he sat down.

"Hi." The boy said, dropping his shoe and sitting back.

"Are you busy today?" Daryl asked. Rio hesitated, he knew this is what Carol was on about, Daryl was reaching out.

"I—." He sighed, looking away from the man and over to the door. He was about to make an excuse but instead gave in. "No, I'm not."

"Want another crossbow lesson?" Daryl offered, twisting the bolt around his fingers nervously.

Rio looked down and smiled to himself. "Sure." He replied.

"Meet you outside in ten." The man said as he left. Rio grabbed his second boot, hurriedly tying it before also heading out, stopping by Maggie for some breakfast.

She gave a disapproving look at the size of his bowl as he made his way past her, walking over to the table.

"You sure you don't want anymore? That ain't a big portion." She asked, sitting down beside him.

"I'm okay, I've got to go." He answered, picking up a spoonful of dry cereal.

"Go where?" Glenn asked from in-front of them.

"Daryl asked if I was busy. He wants to give me another crossbow lesson." He answered shyly.

"That's nice." Glenn replied, nodding along as he took a bite of his food. He seemed disinterested.

"And you're excited?" Maggie asked.

"Yeah, but I also feel bad." Rio replied, setting down his bowl. He looked between Glenn and Maggie but they just seemed confused.

"Why would you feel bad?"

"Because you all forgave Daryl for leaving straight away." He exclaimed. "I was mad at him for no reason."

"It's not for no reason." Glenn tried to make him feel better. "I mean, I'm still mad at him. For bringing back Merle." He looked over his shoulder cautiously, making sure the oldest Dixon brother wasn't anywhere near.

"I'm mad at him for that too." Rio added, resting his head in his hand. "Because of what he did to both of you. I don't think he should be here."

Maggie rubbed his arm. "We can't do much about it now." She said, "If you go out there and forgive him then great, if you don't then that's fine too. You can be mad at him for leaving and bringing back Merle. I'm sure it'll pass eventually though. You won't be mad at him forever."

"Yeah, it will." Rio responded, spinning his spoon in his cereal.

Maggie gave him a kiss on his head. "Have fun." She called after him as he left. Rio waved back at her, turning away to hurry outside.