017: not her

Rio just watched as everything happened. Rick was still on the floor, Daryl trying to coax him up, Maggie was still in Glenn's embrace although calmer now and Lori was still dead. So was T-dog and so was Carol.

He tried not to think about it. About Lori, who welcomed him straight away, about T-dog, who always cracked jokes for his sake, and about Carol.

He didn't even know where to begin with Carol. She'd grown closer with Daryl over the past seven month, ultimately meaning she'd grown closer to the boy too.

Maggie broke away from Glenn's embrace for a second, handing the baby to Carl. Her crying brought Rio from his thoughts. He looked down at the baby as Carl gently cradled it in his arms.

"Let me see the baby." Hershel asked, making his way towards them.

"What are we gonna feed it?" Daryl asked, walking alongside Carl as he walked towards Hershel. Rio stood besides him, peering over at the infant. "We got anything a baby can eat?"

Hershel inspected the baby. It was a girl. "The good news is that she looks healthy, but she needs formula. And soon or she won't survive."

"Nope, no way. not her." Daryl muttered, slinging his crossbow upon his back. "We ain't losing anyone else in going for a run."

"I'll back you up." Maggie said

"I'll go, too."

"And me." Rio said to him.

He sighed, a long drawn out sigh before saying "Okay." He pulled Beth aside to speak to her. Rio watched as he spoke to her, waiting for him to be done.

"You two get the fence." Daryl said to the prisoners, taking charge. "Too many pile up, we got ourselves a problem."

"Glenn, Maggie," He turned to Rio, pulling him along. "you. Vámonos."

Rick suddenly got up, picking his axe off of the floor and heading away. Maggie called out after him but he ignored her.

"Get the gate!" Daryl instructed. "Come on we're gonna lose the light." Rio ran with him down the path, turning back to watch Maggie and Glenn catch up.

"There's a piggly wiggly on 85." Daryl said as they walked.

"No, the baby section's been cleared. Lori asked me to keep an eye out. I still haven't had much luck." Maggie shut down the suggestion quickly.

"Is there any place that hasn't been completely looted?" Daryl asked.

"We saw signs for a shopping centre just north of here."

"Yeah, but there's too much debris on the road. A car will never get through there."

"I can take one of you." Daryl offered.

"I'll go." Maggie volunteered.

"No, Maggie. After everything that you've been through today. I'll go."

"I want to go. For Lori. I have to."

"Okay." Glenn sighed, pulling a rucksack off the back of the car seat.

He leant in. "I love you, be safe." Then he kissed her. "I will."

Daryl revved up his motorbike and Maggie sat on the back.

"She gets a ride before I do." Rio complained quietly. He tried to joke, to not feel sad.

"I don't trust you not the fall off." Daryl replied, pulling him in for a side-hug.

"See you soon." The boy said.

"See you soon."

And then they left, Glenn and Rio watching them as they drove away.