014: super badass

Rio bounced on the balls his feet nervously whilst he looked into the prison, peering through the wired gate. Everyone surrounded Rick as he stood before it, hand hovering over the clips he'd used to lock the gate and fence together the night before.

"Ready?" He asked, turning to face everyone, making sure they were prepared for the task ahead: clearing out the yard.

Rick unclipped the clips and swung the gate open after numerous cautious nods of confirmation. A walker clad in prisoner gear inched closer, but T-dog was quick to stab it through the head before it posed a real threat. Daryl grabbed the next one by the scruff of his shirt, pushing a knife through its forehead. He threw it to the ground.

Hershel closed the gate quickly after them, before any walkers could make their way out of the courtyard, or incase anyone who wasn't supposed to, made their way in. He turned to face Carl and Rio, satisfied that they hadn't tried, as much as they'd protested earlier.

Rio watched for a moment as the group formed a small circle, taking down more walkers as they all stood back to back. He hurried away soon enough, grabbing pipes or guns and clashing the barrel of them against the gate.

"Come on, over here!" Lori shouted, holding her stomach as she yelled.

"Yeah, this way asshole." Rio shouted to one Walker as it was getting closer. It hobbled over to Rio and he banged an old pole across the metal, making noise. It tried to grab at him through the gate but Rio shoved the pole into its eye, blood splattering back onto him as he pulled it back out. He grimaced, wiping his cheek. "Gross."

He did it again, as did everyone else, trying to distract as many walkers as they could.

"I can't see them, can you see them?" Lori asked Carol.

"Back there?" She guessed, looking closer.

"She can't see them." Carl repeated to Rio. The two boys squinted, trying to find their group but Lori was right, they couldn't see them. Rio continued to lure a Walker closer before shoving the pole trough its forehead again. He pulled it out and let it clatter on the floor.

A few seconds passed and all the surrounding walkers had been taken out. There was nothing they could do but wait, listening as the groan of walkers they couldn't see grew louder.

There was shouting and a rattle of a gate before Glenn bounded into Rio's view, jogging over before coming to a stop. He walked over to closest end of the fence, trying to see what was happening.

"There." He nudged Carl who followed behind him. "They're by there."

Rio watched as Rick spoke to them. Not even Carl could make out what he was saying, but soon they headed off again. Rick swung open a flimsy looking door, the group entering the nearest cell block though another hallway.

More minutes passed before Glenn and Maggie hurried out, telling everyone to get their things. 'Their things' wasn't much, it was maybe a backpack each if that person was lucky, filled with the bare minimum of supplies. Still, he couldn't complain. This was probably the best they were doing since leaving Hershel's farm.

"What's it like?" Rio asked Glenn, pulling his bag closed after making sure nothing had fallen out.

"You'll see now." He responded, wrapping up some blankets before passing one to Rio.

"Can't you just tell us? Please?" He asked, throwing his rucksack onto his back and holding the rolled blanket Glenn had given him in his hands.

"Is it cool?" Carl added, contributing to the non stop interrogation. The man handed him a sleeping bag to carry.