009: from the sidelines

Carl woke up early the next morning, ready to speak to his father. He rolled over and got dressed, leaving his mom asleep in the tent and set out to find him. Rick didn't seem to have time for him. He was too busy preparing to take Randall out with Shane. Take him out and leave him there.

"Hey, dad." Carl called as he walked over, hands shoved in his pockets. Rick looked up from where he was filling up the boot of the car and turned to him, a smile growing on his face.

"Hey." He replied. Then he looked around, realising the time and his tone turned questioning. He set down the last box and leant against the car. "It's pretty early."

"I know." The boy replied, nodding his head along. "I wanted to say bye... before you left."

"I'll only be gone for a little while this time, it's gonna be fine." Rick smiled at his son. Carl just stood there scuffing his boots as he kicked the ground.

"Come here." He sighed. Rick pulled him into a side hug which caused Carl to giggle. He made sure to watch out for the boys injury.

"I wish I could help." He sighed after looking up at his dad. "With anything."

"You're still recovering." Rick offered as a reason. Carl stared down at his wound consciously.

He let out a small sigh, thinking before asking him a question. "Would you let me help even if I weren't?"

He looked up to Rick who just dropped his head, looking away from his son and biting down on his lip. He wouldn't . Carl knew that he wouldn't.

"Thats just an excuse." The boy accused, pushing himself out of Rick's grip. Rick looked like he was about to argue back. "Me being hurt is just an excuse."

"You're just a kid." Rick sighed, looking Carl in the eye. His eyes were worried. He looked tired. He was tired.

"I can fend for myself." Carl argued. Some part of him felt bad for his father. He tried not to show it.

"You shouldn't have to." Rick replied harshly. Carls eyes widened before he huffed and walked off, leaving Rick alone for only a few seconds before hurrying back over.

The boy waited a second, unsure of wether to speak. "Bye." He said awkwardly, leaving his dad sat in the boot of the car once again.

Carl sat on the steps and watched as Rick left soon after with Shane. He waved to them both as they left but they must not have seen him.

It was early, maybe only two other people were awake. He'd seen Andrea walking around and maybe Daryl. He wasn't quite sure if it was him. Lori was still in her tent and Rio must've been asleep still, or at least he thought so. He didn't even know where Rio stayed, he just sort of appeared in the mornings with Daryl or Glenn or Maggie. Carl made up his mind and went to find him.

***

"Did you sleep here?" Carl asked, looking down at where Rio was sat. He was curled on the floor of the RV, leaning against the back of the drivers seat.

"No." He replied honestly, sitting straighter and shoving the book he was reading under his leg. "Daryl dropped me here earlier."

"Where is he?"

"I don't know." Rio replied dryly as Carl sat down next to him. He moved the book, hoping Carl wouldn't notice. He did. "He thinks I should try and speak with Carol."

"Why?"

"Because of the barn." Rio replied, confused on how Carl didn't put the dots together. "She has left though."