046: liar

Everyone stood out in the dark as Abraham burst open the front door to a library. It looked okay. No one seemed to think to raid a library. The man held up a hand, signaling for them to wait outside. The man then led them inside when he deemed it safe enough, giving them each a job to do.

Rio had to find water, along with Tara. Abraham said he'd given them the easy job. He handed him and Tara empty tins and the girl led the two of them up the stairs. Rio shone the flashlight around as Tara instructed him on where to go.

"Hey." She tapped his shoulder, pulling the notepad that was miraculously still in his pocket. She scribbled something down to him. 'Find a bathroom'

"We're drinking toilet water?" Rio hissed.

"Not if we're lucky." She walked over to the sinks, twisting the taps. Nothing came out, only two or three drops. Tara then walked over to the toilet and lifted the lid off of the back.

"Flashlight?" She asked, making a grabby-hand gesture. Rio shone the light over the back of the toilet. She sipped the tins into the water and filled them up. Rio held the flashlight in his mouth as she handed one to him. Tara carried three downstairs, making the boy go first as he still held the flashlight between his teeth.

Eugene was tearing pages from a book when they got back down, holding a lighter to a corner and starting a fire. Rosita was rummaging through drawers and Maggie was helping Abraham move a shelf. Rio placed the tin down on the floor beside the fire and watched as Eugene tried to make a stand.

"What're you doing?"

"Boiling the water will purify it, therefore making it safer for us all to drink. It'd be a hell of a shame if we made it this far to die by some dirty water."

"I'll second that." Abraham called out.

"Okay." Rio answered. "Where's Glenn?"

"Doing a perimeter check I think." Maggie answered, sitting down beside him as Abraham went out to make sure the man was still there. "How's your arm?"

"Broken." Rio shrugged.

"So now you'll admit it?" Rosita said as she walked past.

"The bus probably double broke it." The boy defended, looking away.

"How's the sling?" Maggie asked.

"Slinging?" Tara guessed. Rio rolled his eyes at her.

"My neck is hurting."

Maggie shuffled closer before leaning over and untying the shirt. She lowered it slowly, trying not to bump the boy's arm. Rio rested his arm against his legs.

"Oh." Was all Tara said as she took a look. "Well, that's not good."

Rio grimaced, the same thought going through his head. "Thanks."

"Okay, sorry." She apologized. "Pass me the notepad. I'm gonna take you up on that game of hangman."

"If I remember correctly you suggested it." The boy teased.

"Hold on." Maggie stopped them just as Rio was about to move away. She looked at Tara before pointing to the boy. "Gotta clean his head."

He turned back to her, watching as she poured some bottled water onto a cloth. Then he gave out a small sigh. "When's Glenn coming back? We have matching wounds."

Maggie failed to bite back a laugh. "I'm sure he's thrilled about that."

"Yes I am." Glenn announced as he walked in. Abraham was a few steps ahead and whisked Rosita away. Eugene watched them go.