026: god might not get it but i do

Rio sat against the railing, the cold bars digging into his back as he watched Merle tear through his mattress. He flipped his knife over and over in his hand, trying to ignore the man in front of him.

"The hell are you doing?" He asked finally. The sound of the mattress getting on his nerves. Rio dropped his arms over his knees, knife dangling above his feet in his hand.

"Just looking for a little vacation." Merle grunted loudly, trying to be subtle about what he was searching for.

"Drugs? Seriously?" The boy asked, catching on quickly, he raised his eyebrow in disbelief. The man just shrugged back at him.

"You got that fast." He chuckled, continuing to tear up the bed. "You're parents druggies or what?"

"No my parents weren't 'druggies' I'm just not stupid." He replied defensively.

"Well I was just asking—."

"Well don't 'just ask'." Rio shot back.

Merle raised an eyebrow at him before ignoring what he'd just said, continuing to rip through the foam. "Best dope I ever had was from a mattress."

"Don't care." He drawled, turning to look for anyone else.

"Then leave." Merle stated. He gestured to the rest of the prison an unimpressed look on his face.

"I'm babysitting." Rio replied sharply as Merle threw the mattress down. He studied the discontent look on the other man's face. "Found nothing?"

"Nothing."

"What a shame." Rio complained sarcastically. "I can't believe we're about to be at war and you're scrounging around for drugs. That's kinda sad."

"Do my best work when I have 'em."

"Sure you do." Rio said, standing up from where he sat.

"Thought you were babysitting?" The man questioned him.

"The baby can light himself on fire for all I care."

"Watch your mouth, kid!" Merle yelled back.

Rio scoffed, almost laughing at the man. "What're you gonna do? Wash it out with soap."

He pointed his blade at the boy trying to be threatening. It almost worked. "You wish." Merle snarled.

He looked down at where the man's arm should be, how the blade was still bloodstained at the tips. Rio looked between the man and the arm. "You ain't gonna hurt me." The boy replied slyly.

"And why's that?"

"For one, It'll hurt Daryl." He smiled.

Merle looked at him for a second before sitting back. Then he laughed, actually stumped. "What's reason two?"

"They'll definitely kick you out if you cut a limb off of me. And then, hopefully, you won't have anyone to defend you."

"You're so weird."

"Thanks." He replied getting up out of his seat. "Now I'm really leaving."

"Be my guest."

Rio jogged down the stairs, Rick stopping him once he reached the table. "Have you seen Merle? I need to talk with him."

"Have fun with that." He scoffed.

"Where is he?" Rick sighed.

"Upstairs, third cell from the right I think."

"Thanks."

"No problema." Rio replied, focusing on something else now. He grabbed a wooden spoon and a pan, heading over to Maggie and Carl as they gathered their things too. Maggie slung a rifle over her shoulder, just in case, and then they headed outside.