44.

hi...did you miss me?🖤

Jasper raises a clenched fist to the solid wood before him, hesitates, before knocking three times softly.

He felt like he was sinking into the floor of the hallway where he stood.

His body was still cold due to the trek from the outside — his coat littered with small pellets of water. If he focused, he would be able to feel the dampness of water penetrating his outer layers and reaching his skin.

If he could focus, he'd notice the rhythm of his heart stutter. Or maybe he feel the grinding of his back teeth, bone gnawing away at bone.

It was silent for a long time afterward. He worried his knocks were too quiet. So soft, they could be misconstrued as noise from the upstairs neighbors, or people outside on the street.

The silence made him more anxious.

He wanted to try again: he would be louder this time, more confident in his movements as if to exude some semblance of courage.

As soon as he raised his fist to knock, unwavering and determined, the door swung open with a dull swoosh.

Jasper, with his hand still in the air, didn't have time to drop it, or retrieve all together before he recognized the person on the other side of the door.

If he had trouble breathing before and if he thought his heart was erratic just moments ago, it paled in comparison to what he felt now.

Now, he felt like he'd been punched in the gut repeatedly without remorse.

Jasper watched the moment it happened: the second the slight upturn of his mouth dropped and when the light from his eyes seemingly vanished, hardened into confusion.

Ace could never obscure his emotions.

The same way he wore his heart on his sleeve, he could wear everything he felt with a simple expression. That trait of his, didn't waver.

It had been there since they met, and it hadn't gone in the weeks without contact.

And Jasper knew. he knew from the look on Ace's face he was tormenting him by just being here.

So why did he come in the first place?

Why was Jasper insistent on this dualistic torture that would only hurt the both of them in the end?

Maybe it was because to Jasper, every bit of pain was worth it to see Ace's face again.

"I know."

Jasper spoke before Ace could process it was him. His words were rushed, afraid that the guard would shut the door in his face like he had every right to.

Ace's features shifted from confusion to sadness. There was a flick of anger behind his eyes, but it was like he couldn't fully embrace it.

Instead, anger rested on the edge of his lips.

"Please," Jasper said, unabashed.

Just for Ace to give him only a few minutes.

It was then that Jasper heard shuffling behind the door of his apartment. The voices of a couple people traveled between the crack where Ace stood. Jasper's stomach churned.

Ace, who hadn't dare spoken a word yet, looked back behind him before stepping out into the hallway completely. The door shut with a soft sigh.

"You show up here. Unannounced," Ace's voice was soft. It was as a stark contrast to his cold demeanor. "It had better be worth something."