Come Closer, Dumbass

Rachael's Point of View:

"You know, Sam, you're like a puzzle. Just when I think I get you, I don't," I say, a smile playing on my lips as I gaze at her. She settles down beside me, purposefully painting a noticeable distance between us.

"You're nothing but trouble," She retorts, a hint of amusement in her voice before averting her gaze. I chuckle, enjoying the playful banter between us, as I continue to study her.

Sure, everything seems to be moving quickly. Perhaps I am being impulsive. Maybe it feels like I'm rushing into things. Maybe I've just come out of a complicated relationship. Maybe I'm being foolish.

But when it comes to Sam, I want to stand by her side, no matter how much space there is between us. I want to bask in her presence, to gaze into those eyes that always appear cold and detached. Eyes that convey annoyance when they meet mine, yet hold a glimmer of care beneath the surface.

Most of all, I want to study her.

Sam turns her head, meeting my gaze once again. A small smile graces her soft feature, her soft lips, and her mesmerizing blue eyes glistening from the light.

In a subtle movement, her arm shifts closer to me, and I feel a gentle touch as her fingertips meet mine. We sit on the bench, our hands nearly touching, locked in our unspoken world. Her cold yet soft fingers brush against mine, sending a shiver down my spine. I can't help but smile, a mixture of warmth filling the air between us.

Just get closer, dumbass.

I won't say those thoughts out loud. I don't want to ruin this perfect moment, the moment I've been longing for. I crave her closeness, but I'm hesitant. I don't want to be seen as overly dramatic. I-

"Just get closer, dumbass," Sam's sudden words jolt me out of my swirling thoughts. I meet her wide eyes, captivated by the intensity within. She tilts her head slightly, raising a questioning brow. "I can tell that you want to get closer."

"But, I..." I begin, my voice trailing off as I try to convey my internal struggle. I want to express my fears of ruining the moment, of being too much. But before I can find the right words, she reaches her arms out to me. In her sitting position, she looks slightly awkward, her arm hanging in mid-air, waiting for my response.

"My arms are yours, my warmth is here for you, my body is for you to hold, and I want to hold you close," Sam says gently, voice laced with acceptance and sincerity. Her eyes remain fixed on mine, and in that gaze, I sense a world of understanding. A tear pricks at the corner of my eye, unexpected. The feeling of relief washes over me as the tears continue.

Without further hesitation, I move toward her, my heart pounding in my chest. I wrap my arms around her, pulling her into a tender embrace. The familiar feeling flows within me as everything fades away, and it's just us.

We remained in that position, until Sarah's abrupt entrance into the room. She came rushing in, her voice filled with alarm and panic. Hastily, we pulled apart, creating a visible distance between us as Sarah approaches, visibility breathless and agitated.

"Goodness, Rachael," Sarah exclaims, trying to catch her breath as she leans against the wall for support. "I'm so glad I found you here."

Confusion washes over me as I tried to process Sarah's words. "W-what do you mean?"

"Samantha, do you remember that guy Hannah cheated on with when she was with you?" Sarah asks. "Well, Hannah is back with him, and they're practically eating each other's faces off."

A wave of realization crashes over me, confirming the truth of Austin's warning. My shoulders slump as the weight of the situation settles in. I couldn't help but feel a pang of disappointment and sadness.

But before I could dwell on my own emotions, Sam spoke up, "As long as Rachael isn't being mistreated, then everything is fine."

Taken aback by Sam's words, both Sarah and I look at her, each with our own mix of confusion and surprise. Sam stood up, her gaze shifting between us, and says, "We have class now. Let's go."

Sarah blinks at me and says, "Let's talk later. I need to change now."

Why me? Isn't Samantha her best friend? I groan but smile at Sam's words. I'll ask her what she means.