But I Chases Her

Rachael Point Of View: 

"Well, that was something," Hannah says, letting out a chuckle.

We drop off Abby at her school, and now, we're heading to our school.

"We're alone now," She says, turning up the radio.

"Yeah, thank you for telling me the obvious," I mutter under my breath.

I can't believe my sister was in the car, and she saw me kiss Hannah.

"Are you alright?" Hannah asks, taking a turn into the parking lot. "You're still flustered."

"Y-yeah, I am okay," I say, letting out a shaky breath. "Are we going to introduce ourselves to our friends?"

She looks at me with worried eyes. Our eyes locked within each other as she studies me, trying to figure out if I am okay.

"Hannah, I am fine," I said in determination.

"Are you sure?" Hannah asks, still feeling like I am lying.

"Yes," I replied, a bit annoyed.

"Babe, if you're not comfortable with our relationship out in public, it's fine, okay?" Hannah says sternly. "I am not against your decision, but please, I don't want you to feel like you're holding on a ton of bricks."

"I'm fine," I repeat myself. "But...could we not tell our friends about our relationship yet? I don't feel ready..."

She looks at me with a perplexed look when I said that, her brows furrowed slightly and sadness plastered on her face. However, the sadness feature didn't last long when it's covered up by a small disappointed smile.

"It's not because I don't feel comfortable with our relationship, it's just I'm not ready. There are so many things going on in my mind, and we just got together," I told Hannah, keeping our eye contact.

Her eyes locked in mine before looking away.

"It's okay, I understand," She whispers. "Come on, let's head to class."

Hannah turns her back towards me as she gets off her car. I did the same thing as I get off her car.

"Come on, baby," Hannah says as she gets to my side of the door. I swing my backpack onto my back and walk to her.

"Don't worry about it, and I'm not mad," She says, giving me a peck on the head. "Let's head to class."

I glimpse at her before walking to the building. Our hand brushes each other, so I took her hand in mine. Even though we won't be official today, I am still Hannah's girlfriend. There are countless reasons I don't want us to be official yet, and you could say it's Samantha Baltimore.

However, it's more than Samantha. It's about our school, our friends, and Samantha. Just deal with it, I know, I must've been repeating her name for like a quadrillion times, but I'm sure you would do the same thing with your crush.

Oh shit.

I mean, acquaintance.

"Do you think Austin would accept us?" I question Hannah, holding her hand tighter as we enter the building.

"Maybe not, maybe yes." She spoke up softly, stroking my palm with her thumb. "He could accept us. He could support you, but not me. He could ignore both of us. Austin and I were never in good terms, not even in the past. We would argue like brothers and sisters, but we would always have each other's back. Now?"

"Now?" I repeated her question, curiosity perks within me.

"We would fight, but we won't have each other's back anymore," Hannah says sadly. "What we have back then is gone, and what we have now isn't friendship. We could act like friends, but deep inside both of us. We know it won't work out."

We stopped at Hannah's locker, and she took off her jacket then put it inside. I did the same, taking off my coat and handed it to her.

"Sometimes, you've got to let go of those people who you think it's not going to work out anymore. Sometimes, you've got to let go of someone in life to gain something you want. Sometimes, life isn't perfect. Sometimes, you'll have to let go first or leave first, or anything to hope for the better for yourself." I say softly, looking into her eyes. "It's hard to let go because of the memories. Memories. You made the memories to remember the good times and the bad times. Good times make you want to make more good ones, but how could it be made when nothing is perfect?"

I cup my hands around Hannah's face, making sure she's listening.

"In this world, nothing is perfect. Every step we take, every path we walk on, every breath we take, and every knowledge we gain in life was never smooth as a quilt." I whisper to her and kiss her lips. "Sometimes you've got to do things you think is right when others would disapprove. Put yourself first, before putting others first."

I step away from Hannah, and she looks at me, puzzled. She lets her head drop low, taking in what I've said as she collects her thoughts.

"You're right," I heard her mumble silently. She looks back at me with a smirk, "That is why I have the most amazing girlfriend."

I chuckled, "Oh, please, I was born amazing."

Hannah wraps her arms around me, pulling me into a hug. I wrap my arms around her waist, hugging her back.

"Are you ready for school?" Hannah asks, looking down at me.

I roll my eyes, "Who is ready for school?"

"True, but now we're together, I can't wait to see you in my class," Hannah says, smiling. I smile back at her but drop to a frown. When I saw Samantha behind Hannah, giving me an emotionless expression.

The rhythm of my heart quickens as we made eye contact with each other.

"What's the matter, baby?" Hannah asks, concerned.

My eyes linger on Sam as Hannah turns around to see what is happening.

"Oh, Samantha," Hannah says softly and smiling weakly.

"Rachael," Samantha says coldly, glaring into Hannah's soul. Then she looks at me with blankness filled in her orbs.

"Good morning to you," Hannah says, shakily.

"..." Samantha looks at Hannah before walking away, and her shoulder brushes mine as she left us.

"Come on, let's head to class," Hannah says, intertwining our fingers.

I look back at Samantha once more, seeing her turn to a corner.

I probably should take my advice to find something - someone who I want.