Chapter 6

I prepared for work the following morning knowing the agents weren't outside. That government vehicle must've kept the press at bay since they were just off my property.

My prayers included them, the same as I would anyone else outside my house. But wouldn't invite them in or even allow them to cross the line. The questions couldn't be stopped. At least I could give a bit of distance.

There was a house that needed completing, and my stomach was growling from missing dinner. I knew it was just a matter of time before I had to answer questions. My only option was to delay it.

I'd normally check my messages before leaving, of which there were many. They had to be from the press.

Were federal agents going to follow me in a drone with cars close by? Most likely. They must've checked everything digitally. Good. Maybe my Christian searches would open some eyes.

Let them check all they want. I'm hiding nothing, including my devotion to God.

Walking to my car knowing everything I need is locked in my trunk, I hear the shouting of questions that come closer to demands. Not the way to get me to stop for a chat.

Unlocking my car, I got in, and closed the door with a smile at the reporters demanding answers. Their voices are muted.

"Play local weather," I say to the car as I slowly pull forward to keep from hitting them.

Unhappy faces glare, while I drive past them, while listening for anything concerning. So far, nothing but sunny skies.

Good. Hopefully it stays that way. If not, they'd make do.

Press vans follow me to the diner, where Willie and Zack are already inside. Other members of the press park close to the restaurant, while I pull in between their cars. Weather remains promising.

My mind wasn't on the aliens, other than knowing they were there. I was focused only on God and finding a way for Willie to take another step towards becoming a Christian.

Inside the diner, people carried on as usual. There were no signs anyone was focused on aliens. Perhaps, not having them land kept things like that as distant thoughts. That's the way it was for me.

There was a bit of excitement from Willie that had nothing to do with God, or aliens. It was the last day at the site, which always brought excitement followed by contentment upon finishing.

He took pride in his work. Not the kind of negative pride that drove to arrogance. No. It was the right kind that ensured everything was done right, at least from what he could do.

I didn't notice until after we were close to finishing breakfast. The TV wasn't turned on. Interesting way to handle what was out there was to pretend like they didn't exist.

It was a guess on my part. The TV could've been broken, but all those years of going to that diner for breakfast had never not had it on.