Chapter 19

The following morning, I had gospel music playing from my computer, while watching the news, muted. I was looking for anything to show someone did something stupid. Not from a nightmare, but just our own nature.

Subtitles didn't stand out about the landing, beyond tensions rising. Which was already known, from the moment they arrived, in space. I couldn't tell if things were worse from landing.

Without being a news person, I had no idea what I was looking for, but figured I'd spot something that didn't seem to be there. And found nothing.

There was a reason for nothing showing up. The landings weren't advertised to the populations. As far as much the world knew, they were all still in space.

It had been assumed that other nations had ambassadors, which was why Ari told me what he had, but there was no landing, anywhere else. Just some heavily classified locations, here, in America.

Between allies that tended to follow our lead, and enemy governments who wished us harm, all were waiting to see how the aliens, and each government would react.

It was possible hostilities would break out due to too many unknowns. The unknowns by hostile, national government could be predicted to not carry through whatever threats they were making, that were always making threats.

That was at least predictable that nothing would happen, right away, unlike how the aliens would respond. There was nothing known about them, including customs. It's one thing to deal with them in space, but another to have them on the ground.

How would their ships react? That was the question no one could answer.

In space, there were attempts by both aliens to send landing parties, that was challenged by each other, and forced back to their ships. It was a miracle war didn't break out, meaning God prevented it from happening.

Proverbial feathers and hammers didn't just come to me and Earth, God sent them to the aliens, as well. Had He not, they would've chosen nations to carry out their hostilities, after landing across the globe.

Their war was one rash action away from being brought to us. Who else, except God, could explain it?

My secure phone rang and I walked to it, without needing to turn down the volume from the music that wasn't all that loud. While watching the television for something, I picked up my phone.

"Hello, Mr. Secretary," I answered, hoping there wasn't something negative happening that wasn't on the news.

A bit of fear crept in. Had it not been for the music to strengthen my soul, I would've given in.

The adversary was always searching for some means to get hold of me, just like everyone else. My fear was a powerful weapon fought off by an even more powerful God without me being aware.

"I'll be meeting with the Atlantian and Viridian ambassadors, online, Mr. Collins, in a few minutes. You have a link to the feed in your email," he ended without making certain it had been received.