Chapter 18

I was just about to check my computer, after praying, with no call from Secretary Woodall, when the doorbell rang. As I walked to the door, I wondered if the secretary was having second thoughts, which was just fine with me.

Without thinking about checking who it was, I opened the door, and found Ari. My FBI liaison, and friend, at least that's the way I thought of him, looked worried. But could have been wrong, due to not knowing him well enough to make any judgements about his mood.

"Can I come in, Ryan?" he asked in a tone that confirmed my suspicion.

I noticed the lack of Bible in his hand, which told me he was there on official business. Either he was there to tell me I was no longer going to be an advisor, or something else. There was no way to know until I invited him in.

Due to the lack of calls, and emails from Secretary Woodall, I suspected the former.

I nodded. "Of course, Ari," I answered, while stepping back.

He entered in silence, leaving me to close the door, wondering what it was about.

He turned to look at me, rather than lead the way towards someplace to sit. Whatever it was, I'd find out, soon enough.

"Both aliens are sending down small groups, to several countries, including ours. Tensions in the world just went up. I don't know if it's from them landing, or not landing in every country. I just know I'm here to drive you to someplace safe, if one of us, or them, does something stupid."

I smirked at what he said to hide my nervousness. Too much could go wrong.

Was I responsible for the increased tension. No. At least, I didn't think I was. It couldn't be only me suggesting sending both down, at the same time.

If America was alone, why were other countries at the receiving end of both species landing?

It couldn't have been just me. Could it?

My smirk faded. "If someone were going to do something stupid, Ari, I think it would've already happened. I don't think God would've gone through the trouble of getting them here, only to have someone act, foolishly."

I said it, since one of us needed to say something to reassure the other. Not that I thought things through well enough to understand God's plan. Then again, it would be naïve to make any claim of understanding, beyond God getting them there.

Just because I couldn't see my role, at the time, doesn't mean I didn't believe God was behind it. Regardless of all the happened, from proverbial feathers to hammers, like the aliens sending them down, didn't mean I accepted being chosen by God.

Had it not been God's will, I never would've had Ari in my house. Yet, I was too blind to see anything, beyond the obvious.

"I hope you're right, Ryan," he said not quite believing it.