Chapter 8

The following morning, nothing felt different, other than waiting for Mr. Hayes to call. I didn't open the blinds to see if the media was still there. They had to be.

There was no rush to leave my house. We had no plans to meet anywhere until lunch. It was nice to have a mostly free morning dedicated to study and prayer after I ate and took a shower.

I sat on the couch in the silence of my house with my Bible in my hands. My fingers started to turn to a random page. It was my way of pondering on things without focusing on any one thing from the Bible until after it was opened to a page.

I closed my eyes while praying. The Bible opened and finger rested blindly on whatever verse I was going to focus on.

Opening my eyes, I found Judges 6 with finger pointing to verse 15.

"Pardon me, my Lord," Gideon replied, "but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family."

It was strange to find myself reading over Gideon's reluctance to accept his calling. Or was it something about not having faith? What was God telling me?

Considering my own weakened standing with God, it was most likely a comparison of our weak faith.

The problem with reading it that way was me not being called by God to do anything close to what Gideon did. I was a failed minister. There had to be something I was missing.

It was an easy feather to miss. God didn't reveal everything with that passage. He couldn't. I had to be ready for when more was revealed.

Just as I was on the verge of praying, the doorbell chimed. I set my Bible down with pages facing up. If some pages moved, I knew right where I was.

I got up and walked to the door to look through the peephole. I could've used the monitor. But wanted to walk and think over God's message. What was He telling me?

Looking through the peephole, I saw Agent Haskins' unsmiling face. Since he's out there, Agent Cornwallis should be as well.

I was tempted to go back to my prayers, but they knew I was home due to my car in the driveway. All they'd do was knock again and keep knocking until I answered.

It was better to get whatever they wanted to say out of the way as quickly as possible. There was no way to know how long it would be before the call came about the next site.

I stepped back and opened the door to a strange silence. The sound of the press couldn't be heard. There was no sign they remained. It had to be the work of the two agents standing before me.

Agent Haskins had a briefcase in his left hand, while Agent Cornwallis stood almost directly behind him. Neither showed anything on their faces to show what their intentions were.

"We have some questions for you, Mr. Collins," Agent Haskins said in his intimidating voice that I didn't find intimidating. "Best to answer them inside, or we can take you in."