Chapter 18: A moment of respite

We found ourselves in the confines of the barn, seeking solace amidst the chaos that surrounded us. Price had already reached out to Farah, securing reinforcements in the form of fifty of her soldiers. The weight of our losses and the uncertainty of the battles yet to come weighed heavily on our hearts.

Sleep eluded me that night. How could I sleep, when every time I closed my eyes, I saw his face haunting my thoughts? Instead, I made the decision to train throughout the night, channeling my emotions into physical exertion. Push-ups, sit-ups, hand-to-hand combat – with every drop of sweat, I felt anger, hatred, and a killer instinct rising within me. Seeking a moment of respite, I went to the water to wash my face and hands.

Price emerged from the shadows, his presence a comforting familiarity. "Yn," he spoke, his voice carrying a sense of concern. I acknowledged him with a simple "Captain," and we both took a seat on the floor, cigarettes in hand, as the smoke billowed from our mouths.

In a voice heavy with sadness, I posed a question to Price. "If you knew, in your younger years, how it would all end, would you still choose the path of becoming a captain?" The weight of the decisions made, the sacrifices endured, hung in the air between us.

Price gazed at his cigarette, a wistful smile forming on his lips. "I don't know," he admitted. "But likely, yes. Perhaps with better decisions along the way." I nodded, understanding the sentiment.

"And what about you?" he asked, turning the question back to me. My response came without hesitation. "No," I replied. "I wouldn't even consider a path that leads to the military."

A bitter laugh escaped Price's lips, tinged with sadness. "Ah, the harsh reality of a soldier's life. Cut off from emotions, witnessing the loss of comrades in their arms, enduring months of torture, yet still marching into the next mission with a weapon raised high." I joined in the laughter, a bitter edge coloring my tone.

I changed the subject, and asked " What did you do with the stick?"

"I've sent the file to Farah," Price stated, his voice tinged with a mix of determination and exhaustion. "She will establish contact with the CIA."

I nodded, acknowledging the progress made in securing the information's dissemination.

And so, we sat through the night, the act of staying awake becoming second nature to us. For soldiers like us, sleep was often a luxury we couldn't afford. We had endured countless missions, sometimes going without food or rest. It was our reality.

In the depths of my thoughts, a question nagged at me. I asked "Would I survive long enough to see him laid to rest in the veterans' cemetery? " The uncertainty hung heavy in the air, a reminder of the fragility of our existence.

Price offered a sad smile in response. "Hard to say," he admitted, his words carrying the weight of the unknown.

I let my mind wander, contemplating the concept of the butterfly effect. Would everything have unfolded differently if I hadn't accepted that mission with my previous team? It was a futile line of thinking, one that I quickly dismissed. In the midst of our current reality, such musings held little relevance.

As the sound of approaching vehicles reached our ears, we turned our attention towards them. Farah's soldiers had arrived, ready to lend their support and continue the fight. It was a bittersweet moment, knowing that we weren't alone in our struggle.

As the soldiers arrived, Price and I stood up to greet them. Stepping out of the first vehicle was a fully equipped individual who introduced himself as Lieutenant McKannedy.

Price extended his hand and replied, "Captain Price, pleasure to meet you." I followed suit, shaking Lieutenant McKannedy's hand and introducing myself as Sergeant Yn.

The lieutenant couldn't help but comment on our disheveled appearances, remarking, "You both look rough." I glanced down at my worn-out attire, the lack of proper hygiene, and the toll that weeks of sleep deprivation, inadequate nutrition, stress, loss, and tears had taken on us.