Chapter 21: Training

We finished our meal and headed outside. Soap muttered, "Idiots."

I replied, "Only idiots? They're more than just idiots."

Soap smiled at my response.

I turned to Soap and said, "I'll just quickly check the armory."

He nodded, "Okay, but keep an eye on your phone in case Laswell calls you back."

I acknowledged his advice and made my way to the armory.

At the armory for special operators, there's always someone checking your credentials. I showed my ID, and the person scrutinized it and hesitated before nodding and granting me entry.

Inside, I laid eyes on an array of different weapons. You could take them for missions, but it was mandatory to register and return them; otherwise, you'd face significant trouble.

I searched for specific weapons-DQL33 sniper, M4 assault rifle, and an RPD machine gun. I looked intensively when I heard someone else enter the room. We locked eyes, and I rolled mine when I saw who it was: Keegan.

I observed as he returned a weapon and logged out online. Then, he looked at me and commented, "Quite the theater act in the cafeteria."

I responded dryly, "The theater act was necessary to put the idiots in their places."

He briefly glanced at the ground and then back at me, "I'm sorry for what happened in the interrogation room. I had doubts about you, and how many times have I interrogated people who made the same claims, only to discover they were traitors, war criminals, murderers?"

I looked at him, arms crossed, and said, "Not everyone is the same, are they?"

His masked face made it hard to read his expression, but his icy eyes locked onto mine.

I continued searching for the weapons, and he asked, "What weapons are you looking for?"

I handed him the list.

He glanced at the list and then at me with a touch of irony, "Going to war, are you?"

I responded seriously, "Yes."

He looked at me intensely before taking a deep breath and showing me where the weapons were.
After we were done, I headed to the door, turned back to him, and said,
"Thank you," before leaving the room, no time to waste.

I went to our base with the heavy weapons, placed them at the stands, and then made my way to the meeting room.

Upon seeing Price, I asked, "Still nothing from Laswell?"

He shook his head, taking a drag from his cigarette, and replied, "Probably one or two more days."

I stepped out of the room again to prepare myself for the night. I had a training plan to follow. I ran 10 km on the training grounds, then took a brief rest on the cold ground, drinking water to replenish myself. "Holy shit," I murmured.

After a 10-minute break, I did 30 squats,50 pull-ups, 50 push-ups and 30 crunches. Exhausted, but not willing to give up, I needed to practice hand-to-hand combat, specifically slitting throats. I needed someone experienced. However, Soap and the others were busy with other tasks. I looked around the training grounds and spotted Keegan with his right-hand man again. Somehow, we always ended up crossing paths, and I didn't like it.