The Attack

Chapter 6 - The Attacks

The trip to the destination was about four days. The temperature rose and the vibrant green plains became rough and dry. Slowly transitioning from grass to sand. 

The twins now visibly sweated as Koi moved to rest in Nora's arms. You naturally were unbothered as your temperature always remained cold. The three subconsciously moved close to you, already feeling cooler.

Ryden released a groan for the tenth time upon reaching the desert. "Ma I'm tired! Are we there yet?" You sighed for the tenth time, as this was his tenth time telling you this. 

"We're really close, be patient." It was hypocritical of you to say. If he asked that dreaded question again you were ready to ram your head to the nearest rock you'd find. 

Ryden pouted at you opening his mouth to complain more but one look at your untargeted glare and he closed it.

Nora looked over at you two curiously. "Ma why are we in a desert?" 

Your glare softened as you looked on ahead. "Simple, in order to catch you both up you need to be in the opposite element." 

Nora pursed her lips in thought. "What exactly are we catching up for?" 

Your face darkened but it vanished before either could notice. "I will admit, I've been holding off on training you two. I should have started as soon as you could walk. Dragon Slayer magic is extremely hard to learn including two elements that have various techniques and spells. I didn't know where to start before but I know now."

You all could see in front of you an oasis. A peak in lush green started to appear as large palm trees shaded over them. The blue water was deep but the bottom was visible. There weren't many creatures around but you knew they will be soon.

 You wouldn't be against thinking it was a mirage the sight was mystical. 

The twins gaped at the setting. Koi began flying to the cool waters practically crying at the thought of a cool drink. The twins began running as well catching Koi when their wings poofed away. You shook your head and followed after them.

They all lay in the shade after drinking from the water, starting to nod off. You were unpacking things a serious look on your face as you saw them unwind too much. 

"Don't get too comfortable. After I set up camp and we'll get straight to training." The twins released shocked noises as Koi laughed at their expense. 

"But we just got here! Why can't we relax a bit." Ryden asked upset. 

You stood up as you looked down at them in displeasure. They won't understand. You've cooped them up in that cave for too long. They don't understand what's out there. You barely knew.

"You'll relax when I say you can. And don't laugh Koi I'll be working you all to the bone." Koi paused in their laughing as the atmosphere grew frigid. 

"The days will be hot making it hard for you to keep ice from melting. But you will. The nights are cold making it hard for the water to move fluidly. But you'll make it. I won't hear any complaints. For these next months, you'll train harder than you ever have. And you..."

You bent down to the shaking cat, "You're gonna learn to keep those wings going more than a few seconds. Because if you drop my children one more time I'm gonna-" You were cut off as said cat started running away in fear. 

"Get back here!" 

"NOO!" You chased after Koi before they got lost.

Leaving the twins under the tree. They stayed still before looking at each other.