The Ambush

Chapter 22 - The Ambush

Everyone gaped at the little girl in shock.

The majority stood bewildered and confused as to why a child was sent alone to help. Though two looked at the girl in recognition, for different reasons of course.

Natsu squinted at the girl earning Gray's attention.

"What's up with you?" He asked watching Natsu scratch his pink hair with a blank gaze.

"I think I know her." He admitted, "But I don't know why." Natsu turned his thoughtful gaze to Gray.

"Hey, do you think you can remember for me?" He dumbly asked.

"How the hell would I do that?!" Gray frowned.

Natsu huffed and glanced up at you, "Do you know?" He questioned.

You hummed in response to Natsu's poor memory, "No. I don't think I know her..." You trailed off.

You didn't know how he'd know her either. You surely never met her before, yet...

You harshly sniffed the air earning concerned stares from the two men.

The girl smelled familiar.

Sherry twirled her hair in her pale fingers while she frowned at the girl's arrival. "How distasteful! This is highly offensive! This mission is supposed to be difficult and they dare only send a child! What can she even do?! She looks frail! This mission can't be taken seriously with her here-"

"Quiet, insolent human." You abruptly cut off her words.

"Insolent human?! E-Excuse me!" She gaped at you.

You ignore her, as your pale eyes remain glued on the solemn child, "Don't speak down to the girl as if she isn't in front of you. If you didn't notice your brash words then perhaps this alliance was unwise." You scolded before stepping forward.

The magenta haired woman pursed her lips at your tone before glancing at the lone girl.

Lyon frowned at his partner's berating before he turned to observe you, "Are we wrong to have some concern over a child sent into a battleground?" He questioned.

Sherry nodded alongside him, "There's no way she can hold her own!" She added soon after, resembling a broken record at this point.

A frown was pulled on Wendy's face as she looked at the ground sadly. The girl made little to no movement until she began to quake at the clack of heels moving toward her.

"I do agree the girl is too young to be here alone. But are we in a position to judge? There's no need to doubt her... as I doubt you." You revealed with a lazy wave of your hand.

"You doubt me?!" Sherry reddened in frustration having enough of your careless demeanor.

The sapphire hair girl gaped at the words she heard before gasping as a hand met her small head.

She looked up to see you, worriedly staring down at her. "Child, are you alright? That was quite the fall you had." You gently patted her head.

The girl felt the world slow as she gazed at your warm blue eyes.

"I..." She trailed off as she examined your frame.

She placed a hand on yours with a curious gaze, the warmth in your pale blue eyes. Eyes that seemed so familiar, reminding her of only one other. Her mouth moved but some could probably never hear the name she uttered so softly to herself.