The Castle

Chapter 9 - The Castle

Upon entering the town through the gate. The twins felt a soothing breeze flow around their bodies. Their noses filled with the scent of tropical fruit. The sands brightened at them. The twins truly missed their home.

The boardwalk was empty, the stores had a layer of frost covering them all as did the pale sands. The waters from the beach far off were lifeless from the stiff ocean. Nonetheless, the town still had its beauty after the last few years.

"Wow, this place is stunning." Lucy said in astonishment. Ryden looked at her with a grin. "Yep, I remember every single place!" He exclaimed excitedly running ahead.

"Over there should be the jewelry store! The lady that works there is super weird." Ryden pointed out. 

Nora moved along the frigid boardwalk too, "Down there is Lia's bakery, she makes the best sweets." Nora's words caught Erza's attention as she moved to her.

They look into the store windows. It was completely empty, the door was locked as well. Nora looked at Erza as she struggled to break into the store. 

The girl's brows furrowed, "That's odd all the stores should be open now."

Ryden nodded his head. "Now that you bring it up, it's oddly quiet. Where is everyone?"

Erza quit her struggle as she moved to the others. "It seems this is a ghost town now. Maybe we should stick with finding the dragon for now." She declared. 

The twins didn't want to believe everyone left the town. If they vacated that meant you failed to save the town, they hated to think about what happened next. 

Nora suddenly remembered where they could continue their search. "The cave!"

Natsu whipped his head around before looking at the girl oddly. "There's no cave here." He uttered. 

Ryden pointed his fingers and the others followed its target. "That's because it's all the way up there!" He exclaimed. 

Their eyes all laid on the mountain towering over the beach, it was far from the city but its height was still noticeable. Lucy and Gray's jaws fell at the sight.

"We have to climb up there?!"

_________________________________________

The twins led the group to the cave they called home for so many years. The stone trail become frigid as snow piled high. Nora took a deep breath taking in the fresh cold air. Her ears were pleased by the sound of the crunching snow and howling winds.

"I miss being here. I forgot how much I loved snow." She said a pure look of happiness on her face. Behind her, Ryden trembled like a flickering flame, he wasn't as tolerant of cold as Nora.

Ryden groaned at his sister's cheery aura, "I hate it! No matter how many times we roam this mountain it feels colder and colder." He whined. 

Nora rolled her eyes at his state, embracing the shivering Koi closer to herself. 

Erza laughed at the two siblings bickering, she had never seen them so expressive before. They usually kept to themselves or followed Natsu or Laxus around, either was the best of influences.

As of now, Natsu was trying to beat Gajeel in a race. The iron dragonslayer just wanted to get out of the cold as soon as possible, Natsu took it as a challenge instead.