I put a spell on you

The teacher would tell the story every year. And every year the students of Salem, loved it. "Poor Thackery Binx. Niether his father, his mother, nor anyone else, ever knew what became of him." She finished the story. "And so the Sanderson sisters were hanged by the Salem townsfolk. Now there are those who say that on Halloween night, a black car still guards the old Sanderson house, warning off any who might make the witches come back to life. We've even got our very own Salem witch." The women said throwing a fake snake to scare the girl in front of Samara.

Samara loved the story. Even if some parts she believed weren't entirely true, she still believed the witches were real. Otherwise she wouldn't be here. That's another story she was told quite frequently is the one of them being her ancestors.

Sarah Sanderson had slept with Billy Butcherson, after her sister Winifred had simply kissed him once. It resulted in his death, of course. It also resulted in a witchy little babe. Born, unluckily, on Friday the 13th. And since then all the Sanderson relations seem to have one thing in common. Being born on Friday the 13th. She was, her father was, her grandmother was.

She also hoped for witchy powers, but seeing as it was over 300 years ago, she had low hopes.

What brought her attention back to the class was a boy across from her. Who tried to ruin their spirits. "Gimme a break."

"We seem to have a skeptic in our midst. Mr. Dennison, would you care to share your California, laid back, tie-dyed, point of view?" The teacher asked, causing Samara to smile at her sharp tone and the class to laugh.

"Okay." He said proudly. "Granted that you guys here in Salem are all into these black cats and witches and stuff."

"Stuff?" The teacher responded, his lack of manners getting on everyone's nerves.

"Fine. But everyone here knows that Halloween was invented by the candy companies. It's a conspiracy." He rambled on. Samara had, had enough of his blatant ignorance.

"It just so happens, California, that Halloween is based on the ancient feast called All Hallows' Eve. It's the one night of the year where the spirits of the dead can return to Earth." Samara explained, hoping to get into his thick skull. Like previously said she had heard stories from different people a million times. This earned her a round of a clause from the class and the teacher. All she noticed was the dumbfounded look on the boy. Max Dennison, stupid.

"Well said, Samara." Said the teacher she reached over giving Allison a high five. She saw Max walking over to her desk.

"Well, in case Jimi Hendrix shows up tonight, here my number." He said giving her the paper in his hands.

"Please I don't need your help. I'm a witch, I'll be fine." She said to him, causing the class to laugh at him once again. She did take it though but walked out when Allison called her name.

She heard someone peddling behind her and Allison. "Samara?" Max said his bike going faster to keep up to them.

"Hi." She said smiling.

"Hi. Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you in class." He tried to apologise.

"Hey, if anything I embarrassed you. So, don't worry about it." She said stopping to talk to him and telling Allison to meet her later.

"My name is Max Dennison." He said reaching to shake her hand.

"Yeah, I know." She said grinning back and shaking his hand. "You just moved here?"

"Yeah, last week." He replied.

"Must be a big change from big old California, to quiet Salem?" She questioned again looking around at the quiet town.

"Yeah, that's for sure." He said looking at her.

"You don't like it here?" She asked, smiling.

"The leaves are great, but I don't know. Just all this Halloween stuff." He told her.

"You don't believe in it?" She asked again grinning.

"What do you mean, like the Sanderson sisters? No way." He told her.

"Oh, they're real alright. They're my ancestors. But surely you believe it on Halloween?" She told him, like the fact was nothing.

"Oh please, especially not on Halloween." He said, almost trying to impress her. She just gave him the folded up paper and walked off.