Secret - Bose O'Brien S1P1

A one shot taking place around season 2 of Danger Force. Minor Bapa. I just made up everything about Bose's dad, so do not think it is mentioned in the show.

TW: Panic attack

Bose's POV:

Danger Force was on a mission. We had to save my step-dad from some villain who kidnapped him. I was really annoyed, because he probably just hired Frankini again to help him get away from something. 

Anyway, Mika used her super-scream, blasting the kidnapper away, while Chapa undid his bonds. Yada yada yada, we saved him, then we took him back to my mom.

"Oh, Danger Force, thank you so much! I was worried about him!" My mom exclaimed. 

"No problem, ma'am," Miles said. 

"Also, can you tell me if you see my son? I haven't seen him in days." She added. 

I winced and my friends all turned to me, looking suspicious. 

"It was his father's anniversary of death on Tuesday, and he always gets very upset," Mom revealed. 

I inwardly groaned. My friends had no idea what happened to my dad. They all thought he was gone, but still alive. 

"You know, he was kidnapped by the government. He was too smart to live, apparently," she shrugged. 

I couldn't take it anymore. My mom would reveal our secret to four random people, even if those people were superheroes?! 

I felt my chest tightening. I knew what that meant. I had to get away, fast. I ran at top speed to the cave by the pond in the yard. 

I panted, clutching my chest and sinking down onto the floor. 

I thought about my mom's tone while she revealed all that stuff about my dad. She hadn't sounded sad, or upset. She sounded happy, like life was better without him. Mom didn't even come after me when I ran away on Tuesday. She just stood there, watching.

It was getting even harder to breather now. Shoot, panic attack. 

I had gotten them ever since my dad died, and they were always brought on by someone mentioning him.  

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to focus on my breathing. Suddenly, I felt someone grabbing me. My eyes shot open, but the world was too hazy to focus on their face. 

3rd Person POV:

Chapa looked at Bose, who obviously couldn't breath.

"Bose? Bose, you gotta breath, buddy." She whispered.

He kept wheezing, trying to suck in some air, but it was no use.

Chapa grabbed his hand, placing it on her chest. "Feel my heart? Try to match it, Bose. Deep breaths. In," she sucked in a large breath. "and out," she let it out.

They continued the pattern for another ten minutes. Finally, Bose calmed down and was almost breathing properly. 

"Ch-chap-pa," he let out.

"Hey, it's okay," she promised. "You're okay."

"I'm so-sorry," he whispered, sobbing.

She pulled him into a hug. He stiffened, but eventually relaxed into the embrace.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong?" Chapa breathed into his ear.

"Umm, well..." He trailed off, pulling away from her. "I had a panic attack, obviously, and you helped me through it."

Chapa nodded. "Are you okay?"

"I'm better now," Bose admitted. "I-I was just so angry at my mom."

"Is what she said, you know, about your dad, true?" Chapa asked hesitantly. 

"Yeah," he whispered. "The government kidnapped him. His brain worked in a different way. He was a genius. And they experimented on him. I-I was visiting him when he had a reaction to the tests. They didn't even try to save him."

Chapa's eyes widened. "Oh, Bose. I'm so sorry."

"The damage is already done," he shrugged. "I'm afraid that I'll be kidnapped too. And I have superpowers, so that will make it worse."

"Do you mean-"

"I'm just like him," Bose whispered, cutting her off. "I only pretend to be dumb so no one will suspect anything."

Bose's eyes filled with tears. Chapa gasped in shock. She couldn't believe it! Her best friend was a genius! But it got his dad killed, she realized. No one could ever find out.

"I won't tell anyone," she assured him. "This can be our little secret."

"Thank you," he sniffed. "I don't want to be experimented on."

"Are you going to tell the rest of Danger Force, Ray, and Schwoz?" Chapa asked timidly.

"Possibly. When the time is right," Bose said. 

Chapa engulfed him into another hug. They sat there for a while, enjoying each other's company.

"We should get back," Bose  whispered, wiping his eyes.

Chapa agreed and stood up, pulling Bose with her. "Everyone went back to the Man's Nest."

They trekked there together, holding hands. From that day on, Chapa made Bose a silent promise. That she would be there for him, always and forever.