Fever - Colby Madden S2

This is a rewrite of the episode "Fired Up" from season two of The Villains Of Valley View. Don't read if you don't want spoilers for the episode!

Colby's POV:

I woke up with a sore throat, a headache, and a stuffy nose. Immediately, I realized I was sick. Dang it. My parents never cared when I was sick, so I usually didn't receive the attention I needed to get better.

I groaned, pressing my fingers to my temples. I looked at the clock. 6:00am. It was really early, and even Jake was still in bed. I knew this because we had to share a room in this house. I glanced over at his bed. I would let him sleep for a little while longer before I woke him up and started annoying him. But I probably wouldn't have the energy to because I was sick.

I laid in bed for a few minutes, coughing a bit, which woke up Jake.

"Colby?" His voice was scratchy from sleep. "What's wrong?"

"I'm sick," I said, then coughed again.

"Oh, no," he muttered, slipping out of bed. 

He leaned over me, checking my temperature. "You're really hot. Pretty bad fever, Colbs. You need to rest and take some medicine. I have to go to work, but Dad will take care of you."

"Oh, yeah. Definitely," I murmured. 

Jake gave me a look. "I know he doesn't usually take care of you, but I'm gonna make him today. You seem really sick, and you shouldn't be left alone if your powers are glitching."

"Right. I forget about the powers thing."

Jake gave me a glance of sympathy. "You should go downstairs on the couch. Then Dad has to pay attention to you if he wants to watch TV."

I sighed, but threw my covers off and got out of bed. My legs wobbled and I would have fallen if it weren't for Jake, who caught me.

"Easy, buddy," he said. "I'll help you down the stairs."

Slowly, we made our way to the living room. I was coughing every few minutes, and had suddenly become very cold. Jake helped me lower myself onto the couch. 

"Can you get me a blanket?" I whispered.

"Of course," Jake said, walking into the laundry room.

He came back a minute later, blankets piled in his arms. He handed a few to me and I gladly wrapped myself in them, already feeling warmer.

"I'll get you some medicine, but then I have to go to work," Jake told me. "I'll let Dad know you're sick. In the meantime, try to get some rest."

I nodded, closing my eyes. I could barely open them when Jake came back with some medicine for me. I took it, then curled up into a ball, drifting to sleep.

✼❀✬✡︎

I twitched awake, feeling someone prod me. I blinked at them, squinting to focus on their face. It was Hartley.

"Hey Colby, how are you feeling?" She asked softly.

"Fine," I lied weakly. Terrible, actually, I thought. I still had a headache, and felt like I had gotten run over by a bus.

She frowned, as if she could tell I was lying. "Well, Jake told me you were sick, so I made you some chicken noddle soup."

"Thanks," I said shortly.

"I'll get you more medicine and get this soup in a bowl," she said, hurrying to the kitchen.

I wasn't hungry at all, but I didn't want to hurt Hartley's feelings because she was actually making an effort to help me, unlike my father, who I didn't even see all morning. 

Hartley came back into the living room holding a bowl of steaming soup. "Here you go, Colby."

I gave her a tight smile and took it, then felt my invisibility being activated. I set the soup on the coffee table.

"Uh, Colby? What's going on?" Hartley questioned. 

"When supervillains get sick, our powers glitch," I explained.   

"Weird," Hartley said. 

I shrugged. "I guess."

She went back into the kitchen and came back with some medicine and a glass of water. I gratefully took it, then curled up again to sleep.

"Colby, come on. You have to eat something," Hartley told me.

I shook my head, flinging more blankets over my body. I heard footsteps approaching me, and looked to see who it was. Oh, great. It was my dad.

"What's wrong with him?" He asked.

"He's sick," Hartley replied. "Didn't Jake tell you?"

"Hmmm..." He thought for a second. "Yep, he did. I just forgot."

"Forgot" probably meant that he had purposely ignored Jake and didn't care. I rolled my eyes, regretting it the second a wave of pain shot through my head.

"Colby, you need to eat," Hartley told me again.

"No," I whispered, my voice hoarse and cracked.

"You sound terrible!" My dad exclaimed, which was probably as close as it would get to him caring.

Suddenly, the front door opened and Celia walked in. Just great. She couldn't see my powers glitch, or else she would figure out our secret! Dad and Hartley jumped in front of her, blocking me from her view. 

"What are you two doing?" She asked suspiciously, shoving them aside. She frowned at me, her eyes taking in every inch of me.

"Uh, nothing!" Hartley said.

"He looks sick." Celia pointed at me.

As if on cue, I launched into a coughing fit. She inched closer, putting her hand on my forehead. I flinched away from her, not wanting to feel the coldness of her hands.

"He's got a fever!" Celia informed. "He should be in bed!"

"I'm on the couch," I stated hoarsely. "That's close enough."

She frowned, then her legs disappeared! Oh, no! My transference power must've glitched when she touch my forehead!

I glanced at my dad, thinking fast. If I could get her to touch me again, then I would get my power back. I reached out for her, brushing her fingertips with mine. I felt a zap of electricity, meaning that my transference had worked. Her legs became visible again, and she jumped away from me.

"Don't touch me! I need to go home and wash this off right now," she exclaimed, running out the door.

"Did you get your power back?" Hartley asked after a second.

I nodded in response. "Can I sleep now?"

"Of course, Colbs," Dad, surprisingly, replied. "You need to get better."

I smiled to myself, thinking that my dad finally worried about me for once, and slowly fell asleep.

Thank's for reading! Sorry the ending was kinda rushed.