Chapter 2: Feast

Some minutes after my rescue, I was still on the countryside, in what appeared to be woods. My headache did not get any better, if anything it felt worse.
Everytime I tried to remember what happened, a sharp pain, like a knife was firmly put in my brain.
Then I tried to remember other things about myself.
My house. My family. My friends. Who I was, in substance.
Right, I was Y/N.
I had the Moth quirk. It made me able of doing anything a moth was able to do - but better.
With it came the fluffy antennae, my pale wings, my compound eyes.
Yeah, you could say my half insectoid appearance never made me a beauty to behold, but there were those who found my fluffy aspects cute at least.
I started to remember. Yes, for various years I had issues about my looks.
Some faces also flashed back in my mind...

"Friends..."

Then it shifted back to two severe figures.

"Mom. Dad. Probably they are worried sick."

I was Y/N.
I never had a powerful quirk.
Still... I wanted to be a hero. Not the fanciest of dreams nowadays, I know. But what about it?
Saving people is beautiful.
Anyway, I had to get back.

But something was missing.

Something was missing.

I just couldn't bring myself to return home.
I spent even more time wandering aimlessly between the trees, till I eventually ran into the pit again.
Oh, yes. How could I have forgot?

I died there.

Sick. So sick. I see it.
My badly mauled corpse rotting at the bottom of that hole. My wings torn apart, their shreds dispelled all over it.
My flesh and odors attracting all kinds of bugs, festing on me.
That was no longer a pit.
That was my grave.

Nauseated, I almost lost balance.
When I took the courage to watch again, my body was not there.

"... Hell is happening?"

Everything was so dizzy.
A melody of bells chimed right inside my head, overwhelming my thoughts.

"Exactly. You died."

A shadow lurked behind the logs.

"Who are you?"
"I'm your guide. Listen to this carefully, because I hate repeating myself."

It had a masculine voice, but that's all I could tell about.

"She gave you another chance. Honestly? Dunno what she saw in you, but that's not on my part to judge. You seem like a pretty regular guy, eh."

"She?"
"She. Now, there are the good news. You get to stay alive. But there's a catch: You can't tell anyone you died, and you must fulfill your tasks."
"My tasks? You mean... Endeavor?"
"Oh? You catch on quickly."

I pick up the autograph I was keeping in my pocket.

"That's a good starting point. So you at least felt the urge to connect with him. Now, to be more specific, not everything has to revolve about him. But he's still your quest."

"...I have no idea of what I'm supposed to do with him."

"That's the fun of i- I mean, you'll realize eventually. Okay, all clear? If not, I'm still going away so it doesn't really matter. Don't answer."

"Wait! This is all still absurd to me. Almost sickening, I'm sure you get that."

I pleaded for "my guide" to stay a little more.
Everything felt like a dream, a shower of info I did not know how to digest.

"I'm sure it is. But deep down, you know it's true. And that's all the confirmation you need. Oh, and good luck I guess."

And just as it appeared, the shadow got absorbed in the dark of the woods, disappearing with its spectral voice.

"..."

I walked away from the pit, as being around it made me nauseous.
As I approached Musutafu, the city's lights irradiated me with a little bit of comfort.
It was still late at night.

"Well... Here I go."

I jumped as high as I could. My slender silhouette broke up in the full moon.
My wings unfolded, took me high in the black sky.

My quest had just began.