Chapter 11: Beast

I always longed for beautiful things.
My dream was beautiful.
Endeavor was beautiful.

... Stars too, are beautiful, yet, out of reach.
I was just a moth, I could only fly that high.
And for the masses, I was a repulsive bug.

But honestly? I never cared
Really, I felt like everything that ever dragged me down only made me want to fly higher and higher!

... It was rage. It made me mad.
I was so angry at the world for being born that way. But that bitterness never broke my spirit. And like everything in nature, if it doesn't die, it comes back stronger.

People like us never had the luxury to stop trying.
We don't even want it.

-

We got out of the cinema, reaching for the parked car.
A veil of dense silence enveloped us.
Usually it was my job to cut through it, but...

"I liked it."

He spoke stating the obvious.
Of course he liked it, probably even adored it.
It has been a while since I saw tears so genuine.
Poured by the last person I expected.

That fragility he desperately tried to hide, is what gave me hope for him.
It's something I cherished, yeah, as strange as it sounds:

He was beautiful when he cried.

And maybe that was the last straw.
Against all odds, I fell for him hard.

Even if I never cared about love.

Sure, I had my couple of crushes. I liked many boys and girls, but it was more physical than sentimental.
Was it because he was still a pure hero at the core?
Honestly, I felt terribly numb. I tried to make sense of my feelings but... what is love, really?
Something that feels as natural as breathing, but without the same logistics behind.

"You're... Oddly quiet."

"Am I? I was thinking about the movie, it really left an impression on me."

Before Endeavor could reply, he grabbed me from my neckband and jumped meters away in a blink. Shaken, I looked at my previous position.

An hand closed in a punch was deep stuck In the asphalt, it belonged to a massive individual with canine attributes.

His dark fur made him hard to see at night.
He looked like a feral beast more akin to Cerberus and Barghest, not your usual doggy.

One thing was certain, that villain just tried to kill me at sight launching himself from above.

The anthropomorphic dog pulled out his hand from the road, Endeavor was a couple steps in front of me, the both of us wary of him.
Nobody else was in that street.

"What the fuck? So it truly was your smell, you moth freak."

The dog spoke, his primitive tone making a bell ring in my head.
Could it be?

He continued.

"I was sure I killed you. You were a delicious snack you know? How the hell are you there? It makes me fucking mad you have no idea!"

He ran four footed towards Endeavor, his agility noteworthy even amongst pros.
The hero released his flames towards him, shaped like arrows that pointed at his arms with incredible speed and precision.

Yet, the beast was quick to jump all over Endeavor and land before me, the next instant he was ready to tear me apart with his claws.

I remembered those claws.

Droplets of blood danced in the air like red petals of roses.

Endeavor took the hit for me.

Of course.
He could've defeated that villain without problems, but doing so and protecting me at the same time was just something else.
I needed to get away.
Even if it meant to leave Endeavor alone with that monster.
Even if I wanted to be a hero.

I had to trust him.

We exchanged glances. As he was holding the dog, I took off flying away.

"No! Come back, Answer me, bastard-"

A punch from Endeavor fractured part of his jaw and sent him hurling.

The beast coughed up blood, trembling with his bushy tail between his legs.

The hero was ready to knock him down for good, but an unexpected faint attack had the better of him.
Obviously, he could never fatally injury Endeavor.
But that little trick was enough to get past him.

With his sense of smell, tracking me was a no brainer, and I couldn't stay in the sky forever.
I landed on a skyscraper's roof.

But, that too, wasn't enough.

I saw him, making his way up to the top with his claws clenched on the walls of the building, till he eventually reached me.

Ten meters between us, he could cover that distance in a breath and we both knew that.
So we settled down.

"It really is you. You pulled a nasty one on me, if it wasn't you, what did you make me eat?"

He was my murderer. The one that left my mauled corpse down the pit.

"Yes, I pulled a trick on you. But the cost was losing my memories. So tell me, what happened that night?"

He rushed at me grabbing my neck and holding me on the ground.

"You really think I'm that dumb? I won't let you gain time to let your savior rescue you."

He stripped away my jacket, his malodorous wet tongue started to lick my smooth skin.

"You know, it's a shame. I'd really want to tear you to pieces and preserve you to eat you slowly over the time, as your flesh is so tender and prelibate. But this once too, time is not on our part. The world seems against my love for you."

Then he tore apart my chest, taking a big chomp.

With tears in my eyes, I screamed from the schock.

"N-no, s-"
"Hush."

He put one of his oversized paws on my mouth, stopping me from screaming more.

"One thing I hated about, were your wings. They didn't taste like anything really. So that time I grew angry and ripped them. But don't worry, you're still a looker with just the shreds."

In his feral purple eyes, I saw a gleam of pure insanity. That's when I knew, he was done talking.

A glowing orange punch, right on the cheek of the insatiable beast. A fiery glowing hit of pure justice that tossed him away from me, defeating him once and for all.
I rose up from the ground, pressing on the deep wound that was leaking out worrying amounts of blood.
I saw Endeavor on the other side of the rooftop, he was bleeding too, some scratches had gone right trough his hero costume.

We both approached eachother, Endeavor ran, while I walked affatigued.
Once we we both right in front one another.

A hug.
Our bloods mixing in that unnecessary gesture.
Yet, it felt like the best cure.