Chapter 3: Stance

I returned home, only to find it empty.
Mom and dad were not there. They had left a note on the shelf, once I saw it I already knew what it was about.

"Hi Y/N, as we told you yesterday, we'll be overseas for a while to meet an important client. We wanted to see you off in the morning but you were already out for school. But I mean, you're an adult dear. You'll manage, and you can always call us if there's a problem.
PS: If this goes down well, we may finally have the chance to bring you in that vacation spot you always mention!"

I wasn't new to this. My parents were often far away for work, just this time having the house all for myself was strangely convenient.
It was a nice house, nothing too extravagant about it.
My room was that of your average hero fanboy. Just, everytime I entered I felt like it was getting too childish for me, but I never did anything about it.
After all, I spent my last years trying in any way to graduate and become a full fleshed hero...

I fell back on the couch.

The thought of my life being on a counter evidently didn't sink in if I was still gnawing on such shallow things... But I had a little idea.
For some reason, my situation had something to do with the flame hero, Endeavor.
To get close to him, and to not abandon my dream of becoming a hero, what was better than to ask him to let me become his sidekick?

-

"No."

His nonchalant "No" hit me like a giant smoulder.
I was standing once again in the way of the mountain of flaming muscles that was the hero. His eyebrows frown in an annoyed look, he was like an enormous god who watched a puny insect on his desk.

He recognized me from the night before, but didn't give it further thought.

I asked him right away the day after I had the idea.

"... But-"

He rolled his eyes.

"I said no, and be happy I even wasted time answering such an idiotic proposal. Now get out of my office before I make you."

Okay, probably entering his office through an open window was not the smartest of the moves to not enrage him. But ehy, his sideckicks at the entrance would just tell me he's not up for a chat and block me there.

"Oh, come on. I sneaked in the office of a pro hero, isn't that remarkable? My quirk may appear weak, but I'm full of surprises."

His flames grew up as if I just put gasoline in it.
My antennae twitched from the sudden change in temperature.

"Listen up, bug brat. I don't mix well with moths. Usually they are attracted by my flames, ending up cremated. And cleaning up the mess is always a pain. So here's what we are going to do. I count until three. If at "three" you're not out of my sight, I crush you."
"W-wha-"
"One."

Okay. This man had simply zero tollerance to anything and anyone, there was nothing heroic about him at all, and I was already fed up with his bullshit.
Nonetheless.

"Three."

His hulking figure came closer. I stood still.
I'll be honest - it was terrifying as fuck. But my heart did not waver. My expression was a selfless smile.

"I'm sorry."

My voice was that of the snow. Yes, it would melt even before reaching the scorching flames. But still-
Courage was the only weapon I had.

"Seems like you'll have to "crush" me."

In the end, the man did nothing. He simply sat back, piercing me with his glare from head to toe.

"Why? Why do you want to be my sidekick?"

Genuine curiosity emerged from his puzzled tone.
Not backing up must've left some kind of impression on him, as he was used to scaring others off.

"Why? Because you're the very best, what else?"

A lie.

He exhaled, still uncertain on what to do with me.

"In what hero academy did you graduate?"

Goddamn.

"Oh, I didn't really-"
"You can't be serious."

A stagnating silence loomed over us for a bit.
I had to think quickly, now that the living volcano had just calmed down. I did not know how much that would've lasted.

"Can't I... become your secretary or something?"

"Well, I'm sure you're more suited to that. But didn't you want to become a hero?"

"I think that being around the best it's still good learning material, even if I'm not your sidekick."

"Flattery won't get you anywhere."

He then looked away, as if he did not want to give me the satisfaction of hearing it.

"I accept you for the job. Just know your day starts when my day starts. And it ends when my day ends. Don't you dare think even for a moment this will be easy. You'll start tomorrow, be here at 8:00 AM."

I could barely contain my excitement.

"Thank you! I will not disappoint."

I winked, as I was ready to jump out of the same window I entered from. He growled.

"Use the door."

"O-oh right."