Chapter 9: Confirmation

The atmosphere felt heavy.
It was like being at the mercy of a wild boar, his stare able to petrify.
Endeavor made one big step forward, but quickly stopped when I started to talk.

"I'm sorry boss. I took the liberty to reorganize your computer, and - I stumbled upon some of your private materials, opening them without your permission. My sincerest apologies."

Another stagnanting silence passed, then Endeavor groaned. He sat back on one of his armchairs, almost too small for his plus sized hips. He put his hand under his chin, thinking before speaking.

"Actually... I simply told you to keep the office clean and organized. I never specified to retain yourself from the pc."

Upon hearing those words, spoken in his usual severe tone, I felt a bit of relief.

"Still - My private matters are off limits, it goes without saying, right?"

I kept my arms behind my back, trying to look as professional as possible, in striking contrast with my face.
I was disappointed in myself, and it showed.

Endeavor and I kept exchanging glances for a bit.
Then he got up from the armchair, on his way out of the office.

"Don't do it again."

I was left alone with my guilt.
I took a deep breath.

It was okay.

Some hours later, Endeavor was in his office again, we both worked on our tasks without talking if not really needed.

"...Boss, there is written that you want to attend the U.A. sport festival this year. I can make arrangements to give you a reserved seat, but you need to sign this."

"Make two of them."

"... Uh?"

Endeavor eye rolled as usual.

"You're coming too. I want my secretary around, it may regulate the chaos."

Ah! Spoken as if he had lots of fans. It was really not the case. But who was I to break it for him? Anyway, I was super excited. I tried to contain myself but I ended up making my usual stupid smile.

"... Oh- Okay, all right, but I still need your signature, boss."

I laid the paper on his desk.

I silently watched his face as he wrote down his name, turned by three quarters.
I imagined it without flames, and the corners of my eyes accompanied my smile.

Once he finished, he gave me a look.

"You're hard to worn down, aren't you?"

I chuckled a bit.

"What can I say, I'm an hopeless optimist."

"... Mph. Just don't make me look bad."

Don't worry boss, you do a fine job all on your own.
... It's what I wanted to say, but I wasn't in the mood to die (again).

While on the topic, an idea came to mind, probably not the most brilliant. But worth a shot.

"Boss... maybe, you could attend the event with your flames turned off?"

"..."

He didn't even bother to answer, just glared at me like I just told a blasphemy.

I was on a thin line.

"...You know, your face is beautiful and it's a shame hiding it."

Uhh, that's not exactly what I wanted to say. I meant, like, it maybe would intimidate people less and make you look more likeable, but it just came out of my gut like I couldn't keep it anymore. I had to tell him.

A slight blush appeared on my now not to so pale cheeks and nose. My fluffy antennae laid low from the awkwardness.

"I saw... in the photo I opened this evening-"

He dared me to say another word.

"Those flames are an integral part of my hero costume, and I'm attending that event as a hero. So that's out of the question."

"Oh... I see."

I smiled with a defeated look.
But at least I voiced out my thoughts and he answered... I guess.

"We are done for today. You can go."
"Fine, then goodnight boss."

I picked up my things and reached for the door, but before opening it-

"Do you really think I'm beautiful?"

That question came like an arrow in the clean sky.
I did not turn.
Still facing the door, I answered.

"Yes."